The Financial Accelerator and the real economy. Self-reinforcing feedback loops in a core macro econometric model for Norway
This paper gives a brief description and studies the salient features of a core macro-econometric model that allows for self-reinforcing co-movements between credit, asset prices and real economic activity, often denominated a financial accelerator in the literature. In contrast to the economic literature that cultivates highly stylized model representations aimed at illustrating the working and the implications of such a feature, the model of this paper integrates no less than two mutually reinforcing financial accelerator mechanisms in a full-fledged core macroeconomic model framework. Noteworthy, the impulse response pattern overall of such a model turns out to be very much in line with the ones one would have expected using a SVAR/DSGE modelling framework, though the amplitude of shocks is in most cases stronger than the ones pertaining to these kind of models. This is due to the working of the financial accelerators that contribute to magnify the effects of shocks to the economy. Furthermore, a forecast comparison undertaken between our model and an alternative macro econometric model not furnished with a financial block, suggests that financial feedback mechanisms have got the potential of boosting the forecasting property of theory-informed macro econometric models. Hence, in addition to enhancing the practical relevance of a model by incorporating a mechanism of high real-world authenticity, financial accelerators seem to come with a couple of values added. Namely, to i) guarantee against a systematic underestimation of the effects of macroeconomic shocks and to ii) be forecast-promoting
|Date of creation:||Oct 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O.Box 8131 Dep, N-0033 Oslo, Norway|
Phone: (+47) 21 09 00 00
Fax: (+47) 21 09 49 73
Web page: http://www.ssb.no/en/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bardsen, Gunnar & Eitrheim, Oyvind & Jansen, Eilev S. & Nymoen, Ragnar, 2005. "The Econometrics of Macroeconomic Modelling," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199246502, June.
- Ben Bernanke & Mark Gertler & Simon Gilchrist, 1998.
"The Financial Accelerator in a Quantitative Business Cycle Framework,"
NBER Working Papers
6455, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernanke, Ben S. & Gertler, Mark & Gilchrist, Simon, 1999. "The financial accelerator in a quantitative business cycle framework," Handbook of Macroeconomics, in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 21, pages 1341-1393 Elsevier.
- Bernanke, B. & Gertler, M. & Gilchrist, S., 1998. "The Financial Accelerator in a Quantitative Business Cycle Framework," Working Papers 98-03, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Tobin, James, 1969. "A General Equilibrium Approach to Monetary Theory," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 1(1), pages 15-29, February.
- Bardsen, G. & Klovland, J.T., 1998.
"Shaken or Stirred? Financial Deregulation and the Monetary Transmission Mechanism in Norway,"
32/98, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Bardsen, Gunnar & Klovland, Jan Tore, 2000. " Shaken or Stirred? Financial Deregulation and the Monetary Transmission Mechanism in Norway," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 102(4), pages 563-83, December.
- Dag Kolsrud & Ragnar Nymoen, 1998. "Unemployment and the open economy wage-price spiral," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 25(6), pages 450-467, October.
- Gunnar Bardsen & Kjersti-Gro Lindquist & Dimitrios P.Tsomocos, 2006.
"Evaluation of macroeconomic models for financial stability analysis,"
OFRC Working Papers Series
2006fe01, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Gunnar Bårdsen & Kjersti-Gro Lindquist & Dimitrios P. Tsomocos, 2006. "Evaluation of macroeconomic models for financial stability analysis," Working Paper 2006/01, Norges Bank.
- Gunnar Bårdsen & Kjersti-Gro Lindquist & Dimitrios P. Tsomocos, 2006. "Evaluation of macroeconomic models for financial stability analysis," Working Paper Series 6806, Department of Economics, Norwegian University of Science and Technology.
- Dimitrios P Tsomocos & Gunnar Bardsen, 2006. "Evaluation of macroeconomic models for financial stability analysis," Economics Series Working Papers 2006-FE-01, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- David C. Colander, 1993. "The Macrofoundations of Micro," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 19(4), pages 447-457, Fall.
- Q. Farooq Akram, 2004. "Oil prices and exchange rates: Norwegian evidence," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 7(2), pages 476-504, December.
- Frank Smets & Raf Wouters, 2002.
"An estimated dynamic stochastic general equilibrium model of the euro area,"
Working Paper Research
35, National Bank of Belgium.
- Frank Smets & Raf Wouters, 2003. "An Estimated Dynamic Stochastic General Equilibrium Model of the Euro Area," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 1(5), pages 1123-1175, 09.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ssb:dispap:668. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (J Bruusgaard)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.