Production under foreign ownership and domestic volatility: an empirical investigation at the sector level
The main goal of this paper is to assess empirically to which extent the volatility of production is due to activities of firms under foreign ownership. Following Bergin et al. (2009) and Levasseur (2010), we postulate that multinational firms can use their contractors and their sites of production located abroad to “export” some of their domestic fluctuations, thus exacerbating further the business cycles of the hosting economy. Using a sample of twelve manufacturing sectors in eight EU countries and a data panel estimation, we find that the higher the share of firms under foreign ownership in a given sector of a country, the higher the volatility of production in that sector of that country, thus confirming the aforementioned assumption. Moreover, our estimates show how important to deal with sectorspecific volatility, a result we attribute to idiosyncratic shocks arising at the sector level from both demand and supply sides. Our findings are robust to various ways of extracting cycles and to different time spans for measuring volatility.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.sciencespo.fr/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sandrine Levasseur, 2006.
"Convergence and FDI in an enlarged EU: what can we learn from the experience of cohesion countries for the CEECS?,"
Documents de Travail de l'OFCE
2006-12, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- Sandrine Levasseur, 2006. "Convergence and FDI in an enlarged EU : what can we learn from the experience of cohesion countries for the CEECS ?," Sciences Po publications 2006-12, Sciences Po.
- Olfa Alouini & Paul Hubert, 2010. "Country size, Growth and Volatility," Documents de Travail de l'OFCE 2010-18, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- Garey Ramey & Valerie A. Ramey, 1994.
"Cross-Country Evidence on the Link Between Volatility and Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
4959, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ramey, Garey & Ramey, Valerie A, 1995. "Cross-Country Evidence on the Link between Volatility and Growth," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(5), pages 1138-51, December.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Robert E. Lipsey & Lee G. Branstetter & C. Fritz Foley & James Harrigan & J. Bradford Jensen & Lori Kletzer & Catherine Mann & Peter K. Schott & Greg C. Wright, 2010. "Report on the State of Available Data for the Study of International Trade and Foreign Direct Investment," NBER Working Papers 16254, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carré, Martine & Levasseur, Sandrine, 2000.
"Economic Integration, Asymmetries and the Desirability of a Monetary Union,"
Journal of Economic Integration,
Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 15, pages 345-354.
- Carre, M & Levasseur, S & Portier, F, 1996. "Economic Integration, Asymmetries and the Desirability of a Monetary Union," Papiers d'Economie MathÃ©matique et Applications 96.54, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Giuseppe Bertola & Ricardo J. Caballero, 1991.
"Irreversibility and Aggregate Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
3865, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Davide Furceri & Georgios Karras, 2008. "Business cycle volatility and country zize :evidence for a sample of OECD countries," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 5(3), pages 1-7.
- Furceri, Davide & Karras, Georgios, 2007. "Country size and business cycle volatility: Scale really matters," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 424-434, December.
- Kydland, Finn E & Prescott, Edward C, 1982.
"Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations,"
Econometric Society, vol. 50(6), pages 1345-70, November.
- Finn E. Kydland & Edward C. Prescott, 1982. "Web interface for "Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations"," QM&RBC Codes 4a, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Finn E. Kydland & Edward C. Prescott, 1982. "Executable program for "Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations"," QM&RBC Codes 4, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Crucini, Mario J, 1997. "Country Size and Economic Fluctuations," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(2), pages 204-20, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spo:wpmain:info:hdl:2441/5l6uh8ogmqildh09h564gf28g. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Spire @ Sciences Po Library)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.