Financing of the European Union Budget
This study is concerned with the future financing of the EU budget, including possible budgetary correction mechanisms, and is intended to feed into the budget review. The revenue side of the EU budget comprises several elements, all of which need to be assessed in appraising the functioning of the current system and whether it should be reformed. They include the revenue instruments used - the ‘own resources’ (OR) - and how they are set, the means by which net contributions deemed to be excessive are adjusted, and how to ensure that the EU’s revenue balances its expenditure as required by Art. 268 TEC. Such balanced budget rules are often applied to control the expenditure of sub-national governments in multi-level fiscal systems Work done in the course of this study has included an extensive literature survey and examination of relevant previous work, empirical research and policy analysis. The empirical work comprised a mix of qualitative and quantitative analysis, extensive dialogue with practitioners, and a survey directed to officials (mainly, but by no means exclusively, in finance ministries) in Member States. This research has been used to investigate both how well the current system is working and to try to provide a systematic basis for analysing options for reform.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eloi Laurent & Jacques Le Cacheux, 2006.
"Integrity and Efficiency in the EU: The Case against the European economic constitution,"
- Eloi Laurent & Jacques Le Cacheux, 2006. "Integrity and Efficiency in the EU: The Case against the European economic constitution," Sciences Po publications 130, Sciences Po.
- Marco Buti & Mario Nava, 2008. ""Constrained Flexibility" as a tool to facilitate reform of the EU budget," European Economy - Economic Papers 326, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Eloi Laurent, 2007.
"From Competition to Constitution: Races to Bottoms and the Rise of ‘Shadow’ Social Europe,"
Sciences Po publications
137, Sciences Po.
- Eloi Laurent, 2007. "From Competition to Constitution: Races to Bottoms and the Rise of 'Shadow' Social Europe," Working Papers hal-00972706, HAL.
- Feist, Holger & Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1997.
"Eurowinners and Eurolosers: The Distribution of Seigniorage Wealth in EMU,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1747, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner & Feist, Holger, 1997. "Eurowinners and Eurolosers: The distribution of seigniorage wealth in EMU," Munich Reprints in Economics 19567, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Hans-Werner Sinn & Holger Feist, 1997. "Eurowinners and Eurolosers: The Distribution of Seigniorage Wealth in EMU," NBER Working Papers 6072, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wallace E. Oates, 1999. "An Essay on Fiscal Federalism," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(3), pages 1120-1149, September.
- Richard M. Bird, 2000. "Intergovernmental Fiscal Relations: Universal Principles, Local Applications," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper0002, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Angel de la Fuente & Rafael Doménech, 2001. "The Redistributive Effects of the EU Budget: An Analysis and Proposal for Reform," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(2), pages 307-330, 06.
- Beramendi, Pablo, 2007. "Inequality and the Territorial Fragmentation of Solidarity," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 61(04), pages 783-820, October.
- CEPII & OFCE & Marie-Hélène Blonde & Gérard Cornilleau & Pascal Helwaser & Jacques Le Cacheux & Jean Le Dem & Henri Sterdyniak & Bill Robinson & Stephen Smith, 1990. "Vers une fiscalité européenne ?," Revue de l'OFCE, Programme National Persée, vol. 31(1), pages 121-189.
- Philippe Cattoir, 2004. "Tax-based EU own resources: an assessment," Taxation Papers 1, Directorate General Taxation and Customs Union, European Commission, revised Apr 2004.
- Daniel Treisman, 2006. "Fiscal Decentralization, Governance, And Economic Performance: A Reconsideration," Economics and Politics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(2), pages 219-235, 07.
- Peter Hoeller & Marie-Odile Louppe & Patrice Vergriete, 1996. "Fiscal Relations within the European Union," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 163, OECD Publishing.
- Richard A. Musgrave, 1997. "Devolution, Grants, and Fiscal Competition," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 11(4), pages 65-72, Fall.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner & Feist, Holger, 1997. "Eurowinners and Eurolosers: The distribution of seigniorage wealth in EMU1," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 665-689, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spo:wpmain:info:hdl:2441/10059. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Spire @ Sciences Po Library)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.