Intraday patterns in FX returns and order flow
Using 10 years of high-frequency foreign exchange data, we present evidence of time-of-day effects in foreign exchange returns through a significant tendency for currencies to depreciate during local trading hours. We confirm this pattern across a range of currencies and find that, in the case of EUR/USD, it can form a simple, profitable trading strategy. We also find that this pattern is present in order flow and suggest that both patterns relate to the tendency of market participants to be net purchasers of foreign exchange in their own trading hours. Data from alternative sources appear to corroborate that interpretation.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +41 44 631 31 11
Fax: +41 44 631 39 11
Web page: http://www.snb.ch/en/ifor/research/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rasmus Fatum & Michael M. Hutchison, 2003.
"Is sterilised foreign exchange intervention effective after all? an event study approach,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(487), pages 390-411, 04.
- Rasmus Fatum & Michael M. Hutchison, . "Is Sterilized Foreign Exchange Intervention Effective After All? An Event Study Approach," EPRU Working Paper Series 99-09, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Breedon, Francis & Vitale, Paolo, 2004.
"An empirical study of liquidity and information effects of order flow on exchange rates,"
Working Paper Series
0424, European Central Bank.
- Breedon, Francis & Vitale, Paolo, 2004. "An Empirical Study of Liquidity and Information Effects of Order Flow on Exchange Rates," CEPR Discussion Papers 4586, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mende, Alexander & Menkhoff, Lukas, 2006.
"Profits and Speculation in Intra-Day Foreign Exchange Trading,"
Hannover Economic Papers (HEP)
dp-339, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Mende, Alexander & Menkhoff, Lukas, 2006. "Profits and speculation in intra-day foreign exchange trading," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 223-245, August.
- Menzie D. Chinn & Michael J. Moore, 2008. "Private Information and a Macro Model of Exchange Rates: Evidence from a Novel Data Set," NBER Working Papers 14175, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hau, Harald & Massa, Massimo & Peress, Joël, 2005.
"Do Demand Curves for Currencies Slope Down? Evidence from the MSCI Global Index Change,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4862, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Harald Hau & Massimo Massa & Joel Peress, 2010. "Do Demand Curves for Currencies Slope Down? Evidence from the MSCI Global Index Change," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 23(4), pages 1681-1717, April.
- Andrew B. Abel & Janice C. Eberly & Stavros Panageas, 2009.
"Optimal Inattention to the Stock Market with Information Costs and Transactions Costs,"
NBER Working Papers
15010, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stavros Panageas & Janice C. Eberly & Andrew B. Abel, 2011. "Optimal Inattention to the Stock Market with Information Costs and Transactions Costs," 2011 Meeting Papers 102, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Angelo Ranaldo, 2007.
"Segmentation and Time-of-Day Patterns in Foreign Exchange Markets,"
2007-03, Swiss National Bank.
- Ranaldo, Angelo, 2009. "Segmentation and time-of-day patterns in foreign exchange markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(12), pages 2199-2206, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:snb:snbwpa:2011-04. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Enzo Rossi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.