The Effectiveness of Central Bank Independence Versus Policy Rules
This paper assesses the relative effectiveness of central bank independence versus policy rules for the policy instruments in bringing about good economic performance. It examines historical changes in (1) macroeconomic performance, (2) the adherence to rules-based monetary policy, and (3) the degree of central bank independence. Macroeconomic performance is defined in terms of both price stability and output stability. Factors other than monetary policy rules are examined. Both de jure and de facto central bank independence at the Fed are considered. The main finding is that changes in macroeconomic performance during the past half century were closely associated with changes the adherence to rules-based monetary policy and in the degree of de facto monetary independence at the Fed. But changes in economic performance were not associated with changes in de jure central bank independence. Formal central bank independence alone has not generated good monetary policy outcomes. A rules-based framework is essential.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (650) 725-1874
Fax: (650) 723-8611
Web page: http://siepr.stanford.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wieland, Volker & Cwik, Tobias & Müller, Gernot J. & Schmidt, Sebastian & Wolters, Maik, 2012.
"A new comparative approach to macroeconomic modeling and policy analysis,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 83(3), pages 523-541.
- Cwik, Tobias & Mueller, Gernot & Schmidt, Sebastian & Wieland, Volker & Wolters, Maik H, 2012. "A New Comparative Approach to Macroeconomic Modeling and Policy Analysis," CEPR Discussion Papers 8814, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Wieland, Volker & Cwik, Tobias J. & Müller, Gernot J. & Schmidt, Sebastian & Wolters, Maik H., 2012. "A new comparative approach to macroeconomic modeling and policy analysis," CFS Working Paper Series 2012/03, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Wieland, Volker & Cwik, Tobias & Müller, Gernot J. & Schmidt, Sebastian & Wolters, Maik Hendrik, 2012. "A new comparative approach to macroeconomic modeling and policy analysis," IMFS Working Paper Series 49, Institute for Monetary and Financial Stability (IMFS), Goethe University Frankfurt.
- Guy Debelle & Stanley Fischer, 1994.
"How independent should a central bank be?,"
Conference Series ; [Proceedings],
Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, vol. 38, pages 195-225.
- Michael D. Bordo & John Landon-Lane, 2013.
"Does Expansionary Monetary Policy Cause Asset Price Booms; Some Historical and Empirical Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
19585, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael D. Bordo & John Landon-Lane, 2013. "Does expansionary monetary policy cause asset price booms? some historical and empirical evidence," Journal Economía Chilena (The Chilean Economy), Central Bank of Chile, vol. 16(2), pages 04-52, August.
- Stephen G. Cecchetti & Alfonso Flores-Lagunes & Stefan Krause, 2006.
"Has Monetary Policy become more Efficient? a Cross-Country Analysis,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 116(511), pages 408-433, 04.
- Stephen G. Cecchetti & Alfonso Flores-Lagunes & Stefan Krause, 2004. "Has Monetary Policy Become More Efficient? A Cross Country Analysis," NBER Working Papers 10973, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christopher Crowe & Ellen E. Meade, 2007. "The Evolution of Central Bank Governance around the World," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 21(4), pages 69-90, Fall.
- L. Baele & G. Bekaert & S. Cho & K. Inghelbrecht & A. Moreno, 2013.
Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium
13/870, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Seonghoon Cho & Koen Inghelbrecht & Geert Bekaert & Antonio Moreno & Lieven Baele, 2011. "Macroeconomic Regimes," 2011 Meeting Papers 817, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Lieven Baele & Geert Bekaert & Seonghoon Cho & Koen Inghelbrecht & Antonio Moreno, 2011. "Macroeconomic Regimes," NBER Working Papers 17090, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lieven Baele & et al., 2012. "Macroeconomic Regimes," Faculty Working Papers 03/12, School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra.
- George A. Kahn, 2010. "Taylor rule deviations and financial imbalances," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Q II, pages 63-99.
- Ahrend, Rudiger, 2010.
"Monetary ease: A factor behind financial crises? Some evidence from OECD countries,"
Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal,
Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 4, pages 1-30.
- Ahrend, Rudiger, 2008. "Monetary Ease: A Factor behind Financial Crises? Some Evidence from OECD Countries," Economics Discussion Papers 2008-44, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- John B. Taylor, 2011.
"Legislating a Rule for Monetary Policy,"
10-032, Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research.
- Marek Jarocinski & Frank R. Smets, 2008.
"House prices and the stance of monetary policy,"
Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Jul, pages 339-366.
- repec:cto:journl:v:31:y:2011:i:3:p: is not listed on IDEAS
- John B. Taylor, 2012.
"Monetary Policy Rules Work and Discretion Doesn’t: A Tale of Two Eras,"
11-019, Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research.
- John B. Taylor, 2012. "Monetary Policy Rules Work and Discretion Doesn't: A Tale of Two Eras," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 44(6), pages 1017-1032, 09.
- Pier Francesco Asso & George A. Kahn & Robert Leeson, 2007. "The Taylor rule and the transformation of monetary policy," Research Working Paper RWP 07-11, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Kydland, Finn E & Prescott, Edward C, 1977. "Rules Rather Than Discretion: The Inconsistency of Optimal Plans," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(3), pages 473-91, June.
- Cukierman, Alex & Webb, Steven B & Neyapti, Bilin, 1992. "Measuring the Independence of Central Banks and Its Effect on Policy Outcomes," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 6(3), pages 353-98, September.
- Taylor, John B., 1980. "Output and price stability: An international comparison," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 109-132, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sip:dpaper:12-009. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anne Shor)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.