Future EMU Membership and Wage Flexibility in Selected EU Candidate Countries
This paper attempts to evaluate wage rigidity related to risks of increased size and volatility of unemployment after the candidate countries enter the EMU. Such evaluation is done through the study of past labour market adjustment mechanisms and, in particular, the role played by the exchange rate movements and independent monetary policy. The paper examines some institutional and structural characteristics of candidate countries labour markets that could influence the wage elasticity. The analysis indicates that generally nominal wages are not flexible in candidate countries. Inflationary surprises and nominal exchange rate movements have an effect on the adjustment, especially during the Russian crisis. On the other hand fast productivity growth creates the environment in which unit labour can adjust to unfavourable labour market outcomes through moderation of real wage dynamics despite nominal stickiness. The paper indicates possible fields of further in-depth research in this area.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +48 22 206 29 00
Fax: +48 22 206 29 01
Web page: http://www.case-research.eu/Email:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Krugman, Paul & Venables, Anthony J., 1995.
"Globalization and the Inequality of Nations,"
Working Paper Series
430, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Paul Krugman & Anthony J. Venables, 1995. "Globalization and the Inequality of Nations," NBER Working Papers 5098, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Krugman, Paul & Venables, Anthony J, 1994. "Globalization and the Inequality of Nations," CEPR Discussion Papers 1015, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- von Hagen, Jurgen & Neumann, Manfred J M, 1994.
"Real Exchange Rates within and between Currency Areas: How Far Away Is EMU?,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 76(2), pages 236-44, May.
- Neumann, Manfred J.M. & von Hagen, Jürgen, 1992. "Real Exchange Rates Within and Between Currency Areas: How Far Away is EMU?," CEPR Discussion Papers 660, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Francesco Daveri & Guido Tabellini, .
"Unemployment, Growth and Taxation in Industrial Countries,"
122, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Francesco Daveri & Guido Tabellini, 2000. "Unemployment, growth and taxation in industrial countries," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 15(30), pages 47-104, 04.
- Daveri, Francesco & Tabellini, Guido, 1997. "Unemployment, Growth and Taxation in Industrial Countries," CEPR Discussion Papers 1681, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Perotti, Roberto & Alesina, Alberto, 1997. "The Welfare State and Competitiveness," Scholarly Articles 4553027, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Sibert, Anne & Sutherland, Alan, 1997.
"Monetary Regimes and Labour Market Reform,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1731, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Barro, Robert J & Gordon, David B, 1983.
"A Positive Theory of Monetary Policy in a Natural Rate Model,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(4), pages 589-610, August.
- Robert J. Barro & David B. Gordon, 1981. "A Positive Theory of Monetary Policy in a Natural-Rate Model," NBER Working Papers 0807, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alberto Alesina & Roberto Perotti, 1994.
"The Welfare State and Competitiveness,"
NBER Working Papers
4810, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jan Fidrmuc, 2002.
"Migration and regional adjustment to asymmetric shocks in transition economies,"
CPB Discussion Paper
7, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Fidrmuc, Jan, 2004. "Migration and regional adjustment to asymmetric shocks in transition economies," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 230-247, June.
- Fidrmuc, Jan, 2003. "Migration and Regional Adjustment to Asymmetric Shocks in Transition Economies," CEPR Discussion Papers 3798, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Blanchard, Olivier & Jimeno, Juan F, 1995. "Structural Unemployment: Spain versus Portugal," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(2), pages 212-18, May.
- Robert J. Gordon, 1996.
"Macroeconomic Policy in the Presence of Structural Maladjustment,"
NBER Working Papers
5739, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gordon, Robert J, 1996. "Macroeconomic Policy in the Presence of Structural Maladjustment," CEPR Discussion Papers 1493, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Christiane Krieger-Boden & Dirk Dohse & RÃ¼diger Soltwedel, 1999. "EMU Challenges European Labor Markets," IMF Working Papers 99/131, International Monetary Fund.
- Bayoumi, T. & Eichengreen, B., 1994. "One Money or Many? Analysing the Prospects for Monetary Unification in Various Parts of the World," Princeton Studies in International Economics 76, International Economics Section, Departement of Economics Princeton University,.
- Juan F. Jimeno & Jose Vinals, 1998. "The impact of EMU on European unemployment," Working Papers 34, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Vinals, Jose, 1996. "European monetary integration: A narrow or a wide EMU?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(3-5), pages 1103-1109, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sec:cnstan:0265. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Katarzyna Sidło)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.