Spread Components in the Hungarian Forint-Euro Market
We apply the spread decomposition model by Huang and Stoll (1997) to a new dataset on the Hungarian Forint/Euro interbank market. In contrast to previous results we cover a minor market over a long time span. We find a significant inventory effect, which can be explained by the low number of trades per day and thus the long time between offsetting trades. The trading volume increased gradually during our sample period and coincided with a decreasing spread. We find that spread size increases significantly with trade size, in contrast to previous research on the customer market. We show that this increase is caused by rising inventory holding and adverse selection costs. Overall this work confirms the predictions from various theoretical models on a small and less liquid market. When comparing with other results the size of the market, institutional differences between markets and specificities of a dataset seem to play an important role.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: ++ 32 (0) 9 264 34 61
Fax: ++ 32 (0) 9 264 35 92
Web page: http://www.ugent.be/eb
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Easley, David & O'Hara, Maureen, 1987. "Price, trade size, and information in securities markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 69-90, September.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987.
"A Simple, Positive Semi-definite, Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 703-08, May.
- Newey, Whitney & West, Kenneth, 2014. "A simple, positive semi-definite, heteroscedasticity and autocorrelation consistent covariance matrix," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 33(1), pages 125-132.
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1986. "A Simple, Positive Semi-Definite, Heteroskedasticity and AutocorrelationConsistent Covariance Matrix," NBER Technical Working Papers 0055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Glosten, Lawrence R. & Milgrom, Paul R., 1985.
"Bid, ask and transaction prices in a specialist market with heterogeneously informed traders,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 71-100, March.
- Lawrence R. Glosten & Paul R. Milgrom, 1983. "Bid, Ask and Transaction Prices in a Specialist Market with Heterogeneously Informed Traders," Discussion Papers 570, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Ioanid Rosu, 2009. "A Dynamic Model of the Limit Order Book," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(11), pages 4601-4641, November.
- Markus K. Brunnermeier & Stefan Nagel & Lasse H. Pedersen, 2009.
"Carry Trades and Currency Crashes,"
in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 2008, Volume 23, pages 313-347
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ananth Madhavan & Seymour Smidt, .
"A Bayesian Model of Intraday Specialist Pricing,"
Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers
02-91, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Ananth Madhavan & Seymour Smidt, . "A Bayesian Model of Intraday Specialist Pricing," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 2-91, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Madhavan, A. & Smidt, S., 1991. "A Baysian Model of Intraday Specialist Pricing," Weiss Center Working Papers 2-91, Wharton School - Weiss Center for International Financial Research.
- Thomas Ho & Hans Stoll, .
"Optimal Dealer Pricing Under Transactions and Return Uncertainty,"
Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers
27-79, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Ho, Thomas & Stoll, Hans R., 1981. "Optimal dealer pricing under transactions and return uncertainty," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 47-73, March.
- Liang Ding, 2009. "Bid-ask spread and order size in the foreign exchange market: an empirical investigation," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(1), pages 98-105.
- Frank McGroarty & Owain ap Gwilym & Stephen Thomas, 2007. "The Components of Electronic Inter-Dealer Spot FX Bid-Ask Spreads," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(9-10), pages 1635-1650.
- Osler, Carol & Mende, Alexander & Menkhoff, Lukas, 2006.
"Price Discovery in Currency Markets,"
Hannover Economic Papers (HEP)
dp-351, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Geir Hoidal Bjonnes & Dagfinn Rime, 2003.
"Dealer Behavior and Trading Systems in Foreign Exchange Markets,"
2003/10, Norges Bank.
- Bjonnes, Geir Hoidal & Rime, Dagfinn, 2005. "Dealer behavior and trading systems in foreign exchange markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 75(3), pages 571-605, March.
- Hoidal Bjonnes, Geir & Rime, Dagfinn, 2003. "Dealer Behavior and Trading Systems in Foreign Exchange Markets," SIFR Research Report Series 17, Institute for Financial Research.
- Parlour, Christine A, 1998. "Price Dynamics in Limit Order Markets," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 11(4), pages 789-816.
- FOUCAULT, Thierry & KADAN, Ohad & KANDEL, Eugene, 2001.
"Limit order book as a market for liquidity,"
Les Cahiers de Recherche
728, HEC Paris.
- Thierry Foucault & Ohad Kadan & Eugene Kandel, 2003. "Limit Order Book as a Market for Liquidity," Discussion Paper Series dp321, The Federmann Center for the Study of Rationality, the Hebrew University, Jerusalem.
- Foucault, Thierry & Kadan, Ohad & Kandel, Eugene, 2001. "Limit Order Book as a Market for Liquidity," CEPR Discussion Papers 2889, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kyle, Albert S, 1985. "Continuous Auctions and Insider Trading," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(6), pages 1315-35, November.
- Stoll, Hans R, 1978.
"The Pricing of Security Dealer Services: An Empirical Study of NASDAQ Stocks,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 33(4), pages 1153-72, September.
- Hans R. Stoll, . "The Pricing of Security Dealer Services: An Empirical Study of NASDAQ Stocks," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 13-77, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Lyons, Richard K., 1998. "Profits and position control: a week of FX dealing1," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 97-115, February.
- Payne, Richard, 2003. "Informed trade in spot foreign exchange markets: an empirical investigation," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 307-329, December.
- Áron Gereben & Norbert Kiss M., 2006. "A brief overview of the characteristics of interbank forint/euro trading," MNB Bulletin, Magyar Nemzeti Bank (the central bank of Hungary), vol. 1(2), pages 21-26, December.
- Naik, Narayan Y & Neuberger, Anthony & Viswanathan, S, 1999. "Trade Disclosure Regulations in Markets with Negotiated Trades," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 12(4), pages 873-900.
- George, Thomas J & Kaul, Gautam & Nimalendran, M, 1991. "Estimation of the Bid-Ask Spread and Its Components: A New Approach," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 4(4), pages 623-56.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rug:rugwps:11/709. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nathalie Verhaeghe)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.