Spread Components in the Hungarian Forint-Euro Market
We apply the spread decomposition model by Huang and Stoll (1997) to a new dataset on the Hungarian Forint/Euro interbank market. In contrast to previous results we cover a minor market over a long time span. We find a significant inventory effect, which can be explained by the low number of trades per day and thus the long time between offsetting trades. The trading volume increased gradually during our sample period and coincided with a decreasing spread. We find that spread size increases significantly with trade size, in contrast to previous research on the customer market. We show that this increase is caused by rising inventory holding and adverse selection costs. Overall this work confirms the predictions from various theoretical models on a small and less liquid market. When comparing with other results the size of the market, institutional differences between markets and specificities of a dataset seem to play an important role.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Society for Economic Dynamics Marina Azzimonti Department of Economics Stonybrook University 10 Nicolls Road Stonybrook NY 11790 USA|
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Osler, Carol L. & Mende, Alexander & Menkhoff, Lukas, 2011.
"Price discovery in currency markets,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 30(8), pages 1696-1718.
- Carol Osler & Alexander Mende & Lukas Menkhoff, 2010. "Price Discovery in Currency Markets," Working Papers 03, Brandeis University, Department of Economics and International Businesss School.
- Osler, Carol & Mende, Alexander & Menkhoff, Lukas, 2006. "Price Discovery in Currency Markets," Hannover Economic Papers (HEP) dp-351, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Liang Ding, 2009. "Bid-ask spread and order size in the foreign exchange market: an empirical investigation," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(1), pages 98-105.
- Payne, Richard, 2003. "Informed trade in spot foreign exchange markets: an empirical investigation," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 307-329, December.
- Madhavan, A. & Smidt, S., 1991.
"A Baysian Model of Intraday Specialist Pricing,"
Weiss Center Working Papers
2-91, Wharton School - Weiss Center for International Financial Research.
- Ananth Madhavan & Seymour Smidt, . "A Bayesian Model of Intraday Specialist Pricing," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 02-91, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Ananth Madhavan & Seymour Smidt, . "A Bayesian Model of Intraday Specialist Pricing," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 2-91, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Bjonnes, Geir Hoidal & Rime, Dagfinn, 2005.
"Dealer behavior and trading systems in foreign exchange markets,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 75(3), pages 571-605, March.
- Geir Hoidal Bjonnes & Dagfinn Rime, 2003. "Dealer Behavior and Trading Systems in Foreign Exchange Markets," Working Paper 2003/10, Norges Bank.
- Hoidal Bjonnes, Geir & Rime, Dagfinn, 2003. "Dealer Behavior and Trading Systems in Foreign Exchange Markets," SIFR Research Report Series 17, Institute for Financial Research.
- Thierry Foucault & Ohad Kadan & Eugene Kandel, 2011.
"Limit Order Book as a Market for Liquidity,"
- Thierry Foucault & Ohad Kadan & Eugene Kandel, 2003. "Limit Order Book as a Market for Liquidity," Discussion Paper Series dp321, The Federmann Center for the Study of Rationality, the Hebrew University, Jerusalem.
- FOUCAULT, Thierry & KADAN, Ohad & KANDEL, Eugene, 2001. "Limit order book as a market for liquidity," Les Cahiers de Recherche 728, HEC Paris.
- Thierry Foucault & Ohad Kadan & Eugene Kandel, 2005. "Limit Order Book as a Market for Liquidity," Post-Print halshs-00005043, HAL.
- Foucault, Thierry & Kadan, Ohad & Kandel, Eugene, 2001. "Limit Order Book as a Market for Liquidity," CEPR Discussion Papers 2889, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Thierry Foucault & Ohad Kadan & Eugene Kandel, 2005. "Limit Order Book as a Market for Liquidity," Post-Print hal-00459785, HAL.
- Frank McGroarty & Owain ap Gwilym & Stephen Thomas, 2007. "The Components of Electronic Inter-Dealer Spot FX Bid-Ask Spreads," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(9-10), pages 1635-1650.
- George, Thomas J & Kaul, Gautam & Nimalendran, M, 1991. "Estimation of the Bid-Ask Spread and Its Components: A New Approach," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 4(4), pages 623-56.
- Markus K. Brunnermeier & Stefan Nagel & Lasse H. Pedersen, 2008.
"Carry Trades and Currency Crashes,"
NBER Working Papers
14473, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Naik, Narayan Y & Neuberger, Anthony & Viswanathan, S, 1999. "Trade Disclosure Regulations in Markets with Negotiated Trades," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 12(4), pages 873-900.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:red:sed011:1260. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.