Deregulating Telecommunications in Europe: Timing, Path-Dependency, and Institutional Complementarities
We investigate institutional and policy drivers of telecommunications deregulation in Europe. In particular, we focus on those determinants which received so-far a comparatively little attention: policy speed and timing, path-dependency, institutional complementarity. We find that: first, crosseffects from privatizations to liberalizations reveal to affect the liberalization process; second, the telecommunications industry is shown to play a ‘pivotal role’ in the liberalization patterns of European countries; third, ‘path dependency’ turns out to be a crucial driver for telecommunications’ liberalizations; fourth, liberalizations in telecommunications result to be linked across European countries; fifth, ‘institutional complementarities’ between liberalization initiatives and regulatory authorities are shown to significantly shape the telecommunications market structure. Finally, we interpret our findings in light of the evolution of the European regulatory framework and suggest that these results may represent important lessons for policy design in other network industries.
|Date of creation:||15 Sep 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Convento, Via delle Fontanelle, 19, 50014 San Domenico di Fiesole (FI) Italy|
Web page: http://www.eui.eu/RSCAS/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dewatripont, Mathias & Roland, Gérard, 1993.
"The Design of Reform Packages Under Uncertainty,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
860, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gual, Jordi & Trillas, Francesc, 2006.
"Telecommunications policies: Measurement and determinants,"
IESE Research Papers
D/630, IESE Business School.
- Gual Jordi & Trillas Francesc, 2006. "Telecommunications Policies: Measurement and Determinants," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 5(2), pages 1-24, June.
- Roland, Gerard, 1994.
"On the Speed and Sequencing of Privatisation and Restructuring,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(426), pages 1158-68, September.
- Roland, Gérard, 1994. "On the Speed and Sequencing of Privatization and Restructuring," CEPR Discussion Papers 942, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Zhang, Yingang & Parker, David & Kirkpatrick, Colin, 2004.
"Competition, Regulation and Privatisation of Electricity Generation in Developing Countries: Does the Sequencing of the Reforms Matter?,"
Centre on Regulation and Competition (CRC) Working papers
30599, University of Manchester, Institute for Development Policy and Management (IDPM).
- Zhang, Yinfang & Parker, David & Kirkpatrick, Colin, 2005. "Competition, regulation and privatisation of electricity generation in developing countries: does the sequencing of the reforms matter?," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 45(2-3), pages 358-379, May.
- Mark Armstrong & David Sappington, 2005.
"Regulation, Competition and Liberalization,"
0505011, EconWPA, revised 07 Oct 2005.
- Colin Xu, Lixin & Li, Wei & Zhen-Wei Qiang, Christine, 2001.
"The Political Economy of Privatization and Competition: Cross-Country Evidence from the Telecommunications Sector,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2825, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Li, Wei & Xu, Lixin Colin, 2002. "The Political Economy of Privatization and Competition: Cross-Country Evidence from the Telecommunications Sector," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 439-462, September.
- Paul Conway & Giuseppe Nicoletti, 2006. "Product Market Regulation in the Non-Manufacturing Sectors of OECD Countries: Measurement and Highlights," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 530, OECD Publishing.
- Scott Wallsten, 2003. "Of Carts and Horses: Regulation and Privatization in Telecommunications Reforms," Journal of Economic Policy Reform, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(4), pages 217-231.
- Clifton, Judith & Díaz-Fuentes, Daniel & Fernández Gutiérrez, Marcos & Revuelta, Julio, 2009. "Infrastructure regulation: what works, why, and how do we know?," MPRA Paper 33038, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Potrafke, Niklas, 2010.
"Does government ideology influence deregulation of product markets? Empirical evidence from OECD countries,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
19284, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Niklas Potrafke, 2010. "Does government ideology influence deregulation of product markets? Empirical evidence from OECD countries," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 143(1), pages 135-155, April.
- Chari, Anusha & Gupta, Nandini, 2008. "Incumbents and protectionism: The political economy of foreign entry liberalization," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(3), pages 633-656, June.
- David Newbery, 2004. "Privatising Network Industries," CESifo Working Paper Series 1132, CESifo Group Munich.
- De Fraja, Giovanni, 1991. "Efficiency and Privatisation in Imperfectly Competitive Industries," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(3), pages 311-21, March.
- Filippo Belloc & Antonio Nicita, 2011.
"Liberalization-Privatization Paths: Policies and Politics,"
Department of Economics University of Siena
609, Department of Economics, University of Siena.
- Filippo BELLOC & Antonio NICITA, 2011. "Liberalization-privatization paths: policies and politics," Departmental Working Papers 2011-32, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Bernardo Bortolotti & Paolo Pinotti, 2008.
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
663, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Hans Pitlik, 2007. "A race to liberalization? Diffusion of economic policy reform among OECD-economies," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 132(1), pages 159-178, July.
- Tomaso Duso, 2002. "On the Politics of the Regulatory Reform: Econometric Evidence from the OECD Countries," CIG Working Papers FS IV 02-07, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Fink, Carsten & Mattoo, Aaditya & Rathindran, Randeep, 2002.
"An assessment of telecommunications reform in developing countries,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2909, The World Bank.
- Fink, Carsten & Mattoo, Aaditya & Rathindran, Randeep, 2003. "An assessment of telecommunications reform in developing countries," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 443-466, December.
- Filippo Belloc & Antonio Nicita, 2011. "The political determinants of liberalization: do ideological cleavages still matter?," International Review of Economics, Springer;Happiness Economics and Interpersonal Relations (HEIRS), vol. 58(2), pages 121-145, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rsc:rsceui:2011/47. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RSCAS web unit)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.