Partisan privatizations: assessing the ideological bias
Previous empirical literature suggests that privatization choices are driven by ideology. However, available measures of this political bias are weakly grounded as they neglect crucial factors affecting privatizations, such as the liberalization levels and the public finance structure. To fill this gap, we perform an econometric analysis explicitly considering such neglected factors. Our findings conclude that privatization choices in OECD network industries are determined by right-wing ideology.
Volume (Year): 19 (2012)
Issue (Month): 10 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEL20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giovanni DE FRAJA, 1994. "Chicken or Egg. Which Should Come First, Privatisation or Liberalisation?," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 33, pages 133-156.
- Oliver Hart & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996.
"The Proper Scope of Government: Theory and an Application to Prisons,"
NBER Working Papers
5744, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hart, Oliver & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W, 1997. "The Proper Scope of Government: Theory and an Application to Prisons," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 112(4), pages 1127-61, November.
- Oliver Hart & Andrei Shleifer & Robert Vishny, 1996. "The Proper Scope of Government: Theory and an Application to Prisons," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1778, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- De Fraja, Giovanni, 1991. "Efficiency and Privatisation in Imperfectly Competitive Industries," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(3), pages 311-21, March.
- Bernardo Bortolotti & Paolo Pinotti, 2008.
Springer, vol. 136(3), pages 331-351, September.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Niklas Potrafke, 2010.
"Does government ideology influence deregulation of product markets? Empirical evidence from OECD countries,"
Springer, vol. 143(1), pages 135-155, April.
- Potrafke, Niklas, 2010. "Does government ideology influence deregulation of product markets? Empirical evidence from OECD countries," Munich Reprints in Economics 19284, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- K. Arin & Mehmet Ulubaşoğlu, 2009.
"Leviathan resists: the endogenous relationship between privatization and firm performance,"
Springer, vol. 140(1), pages 185-204, July.
- Mehmet Ulubasoglu & K. Peren Arin, 2005. "Leviathan Resists: The Endogenous Relationship Between Privatisation and Firm Performance," Economics Series 2005_17, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- Filippo Belloc & Antonio Nicita, 2011. "The political determinants of liberalization: do ideological cleavages still matter?," International Review of Economics, Springer, vol. 58(2), pages 121-145, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apeclt:v:19:y:2012:i:10:p:959-963. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.