Cost Effectiveness of Carbon Capture-Ready Coal Power Plants with Delayed Retrofit
In this paper we investigate the cost effectiveness of coal-fired CCS plants. Two different model approaches are used. First, we consider marginal costs to determine the impact of fuel and CO2 certificate prices on electricity generation cost. Second, we apply a net present value evaluation to identify the main factors influencing the NPV, using projections for the price of electricity and CO2 as well as the costs of capturing, transporting and storing CO2. The NPV assessment shows that the threshold price of CO2 is highly sensitive with respect to the electricity price. Incorporating the possibility to postpone the CCS investment leads to much higher threshold prices, rendering the investment less attractive from today’s perspective. Finally, with a risk-adjusted discount rate for all CCS options it turns out to be more attractive than with a predefined discount rate of 10%, providing evidence that typical practitioner’s assumtions may indeed be too pessimistic.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2010|
|Date of revision:||Dec 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.eonerc.rwth-aachen.de/fcn|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harmsen-van Hout, Marjolein J.W. & Dellaert, Benedict G.C. & Herings, P. Jean-Jacques, 2008.
"Behavorial Effects in Individual Decisions of Network Formation,"
019, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Harmsen - van Hout, Marjolein J.W. & Dellaert, Benedict G.C. & Herings, P. Jean-Jacques, 2010. "Behavioral Effects in Individual Decisions of Network Formation: Complexity Reduces Payoff Orientation and Social Preferences," FCN Working Papers 5/2010, E.ON Energy Research Center, Future Energy Consumer Needs and Behavior (FCN).
- Harmsen - van Hout, Marjolein J.W. & Herings, P. Jean-Jacques & Dellaert, Benedict G.C., 2010.
"The Structure of Online Consumer Communication Networks,"
FCN Working Papers
3/2010, E.ON Energy Research Center, Future Energy Consumer Needs and Behavior (FCN).
- Harmsen - van Hout, Marjolein J.W. & Herings, P. Jean-Jacques & Dellaert ,Benedict G.C., 2006. "The Structure of Online Consumer Communication Networks," Research Memorandum 028, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Lang, Joachim & Madlener, Reinhard, 2010. "Relevance of Risk Capital and Margining for the Valuation of Power Plants: Cash Requirements for Credit Risk Mitigation," FCN Working Papers 1/2010, E.ON Energy Research Center, Future Energy Consumer Needs and Behavior (FCN).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:fcnwpa:2010_008. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hendrik Schmitz)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.