Demography, stock prices and interest rates: The Easterlin hypothesis revisited
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Costas Azariadis & Roger Guesnerie, 1986. "Sunspots and Cycles," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 53(5), pages 725-737.
- Felix Kubler & Karl Schmedders, 2010. "Uniqueness of Steady States in Models with Overlapping Generations," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 8(2-3), pages 635-644, 04-05.
- Author-Name: John Geanakoplos & Michael Magill & Martine Quinzii, 2004.
"Demography and the Long-Run Predictability of the Stock Market,"
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 35(1), pages 241-326.
- John Geanakoplos & Michael Magill & Martine Quinzii, 2002. "Demography and the Long-run Predictability of the Stock Market," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1380, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- John Geanakoplos & Michael Magill & Martine Quinzii, 2002. "Demography and the Long-run Predictability of the Stock Market," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1380R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Jul 2004.
- Kubler, Felix & Schmedders, Karl, 2010.
"Competitive equilibria in semi-algebraic economies,"
Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 145(1), pages 301-330, January.
- Felix Kuber & Karl Schmedders, 2007. "Competitive Equilibria in Semi-Algebraic Economies," PIER Working Paper Archive 07-013, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Robin Brooks, 2002. "Asset-Market Effects of the Baby Boom and Social-Security Reform," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(2), pages 402-406, May.
- Ulrike Malmendier & Stefan Nagel, 2011.
"Depression Babies: Do Macroeconomic Experiences Affect Risk Taking?,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 126(1), pages 373-416.
- Ulrike Malmendier & Stefan Nagel, 2009. "Depression Babies: Do Macroeconomic Experiences Affect Risk-Taking?," NBER Working Papers 14813, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Orrego, Fabrizio, 2011. "Demografía y precios de activos," Revista Estudios Económicos, Banco Central de Reserva del Perú, issue 22, pages 83-101.
- Alan Guoming Huang & Eric Hughson & J. Chris Leach, 2016.
"Generational Asset Pricing, Equity Puzzles, and Cyclicality,"
Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 22, pages 52-71, October.
- Alan Guoming Huang & Eric Hughson & J. Chris Leach, 2016. "Code and data files for "Generational Asset Pricing, Equity Puzzles, and Cyclicality"," Computer Codes 13-198, Review of Economic Dynamics.
- Hans Fehr & Sabine Jokisch, 2006. "Demographischer Wandel und internationale Finanzmärkte," Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 7(4), pages 501-517, November.
- Zheng Liu & Mark M. Spiegel, 2011. "Boomer retirement: headwinds for U.S. equity markets?," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue aug22.
- Olivia S Mitchell & John Piggott & Michael Sherris & Shaun Yow, 2006. "Financial Innovation for an Ageing World," RBA Annual Conference Volume (Discontinued), in: Christopher Kent & Anna Park & Daniel Rees (ed.),Demography and Financial Markets, Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Döring, Diether & Buth, Rainer & Rosengart, Anja Helena, 2007. "Bedroht die künftige demographische Entwicklung die Vermögenswerte kapitalgedeckter Altersversorgungssysteme? Auswertung des Standes der internationalen Forschung," Arbeitspapiere 128, Hans-Böckler-Stiftung, Düsseldorf.
- K.B. Oh & Xuebin Chen & Jianmei Wang & Geoffrey R. Durden & Nicole El-Haber, 2011. "China’s Changing Demographics and their Influence on Financial Markets," Chapters, in: Lilai Xu (ed.), China’s Economy in the Post-WTO Environment, chapter 3, Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Motavasseli, Ali, 2016. "Essays in environmental policy and household economics," Other publications TiSEM b32e287e-169b-4e89-9878-1, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Shihong Zeng & Xinwei Zhang & Xiaowei Wang & Guowang Zeng, 2019. "Population Aging, Household Savings and Asset Prices: A Study Based on Urban Commercial Housing Prices," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 11(11), pages 1-21, June.
- James M. Poterba & Steven F. Venti & David A. Wise, 2009.
"The Decline of Defined Benefit Retirement Plans and Asset Flows,"
NBER Chapters, in: Social Security Policy in a Changing Environment, pages 333-379,
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James Poterba & Steven Venti & David A. Wise, 2007. "The Decline of Defined Benefit Retirement Plans and Asset Flows," NBER Working Papers 12834, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marianna Brunetti & Costanza Torricelli, 2010. "Demographics and asset returns: does the dynamics of population ageing matter?," Annals of Finance, Springer, vol. 6(2), pages 193-219, March.
- James M. Poterba, 2004.
"The impact of population aging on financial markets,"
Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Aug, pages 163-216.
- James Poterba, 2004. "The Impact of Population Aging on Financial Markets," NBER Working Papers 10851, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert F. Martin, 2005.
"The baby boom: predictability in house prices and interest rates,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
847, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Robert F. Martin, 2006. "The Baby Boom: Predictability in House Prices and Interest Rates," 2006 Meeting Papers 84, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Wolfgang Kuhle, 2008. "Demography and Equity Premium," MEA discussion paper series 08157, Munich Center for the Economics of Aging (MEA) at the Max Planck Institute for Social Law and Social Policy.
- Fabrizio Orrego, 2014. "Habit formation and indeterminacy in overlapping generations models," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 55(1), pages 225-241, January.
- Steven F. Venti, 2010. "Comment on "Aging Populations, Pension Operations, Potential Economic Disappointment and Its Allocation"," NBER Chapters, in: Demography and the Economy, pages 326-331, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Toda, Alexis Akira, 2017.
"Huggett economies with multiple stationary equilibria,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 84(C), pages 77-90.
- Toda, Alexis Akira, 2017. "Huggett Economies with Multiple Stationary Equilibria," MPRA Paper 78984, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- John C. Williams, 2014.
"Financial stability and monetary policy: happy marriage or untenable union?,"
FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- John C. Williams, 2014. "Financial stability and monetary policy: happy marriage or untenable union?," Speech 131, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Matthew J. Hill, 2014. "Easterlin revisted: Relative income and the baby boom," Economics Working Papers 1453, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Heineck, Guido & Süssmuth, Bernd, 2013.
"A different look at Lenin’s legacy: Social capital and risk taking in the Two Germanies,"
Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 789-803.
- Heineck, Guido & Süssmuth, Bernd, 2012. "A different look at Lenin's legacy: Social capital and risk taking in the two Germanies," Working Papers 118, University of Leipzig, Faculty of Economics and Management Science.
More about this item
KeywordsOverlapping generations; age structure; habits; consumption socialization;
All these keywords.
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGE-2010-12-11 (Economics of Ageing)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rbp:wpaper:2010-012. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/bcrgvpe.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: Research Unit (email available below). General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/bcrgvpe.html .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.