Business Organization and Coordination in Marketing Specialty Hogs: A Comparative Analysis of Two Firms from Iowa
We study business organization and coordination of specialty-market hog production using a comparative analysis of two Iowa pork niche-marketing firms.� We describe and analyze each firm's management of five key organizational challenges: planning and logistics, quality assurance, process verification and management of "credence attributes," business structure, and profit sharing.� Although each firm is engaged in essentially the same activity, there are substantial differences across the two firms in the way production and marketing are coordinated.� These differences are partly explained by the relative size and age of each firm, thus highlighting the importance of organizational evolution in agricultural markets, but are also partly the result of a formal organizational separation between marketing and production activities in one of the firms.
|Date of creation:||16 May 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Y. Campbell & John H. Cochrane, 1994.
"By Force of Habit: A Consumption-Based Explanation of Aggregate Stock Market Behavior,"
CRSP working papers
412, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Cochrane, John H. & Campbell, John, 1999. "By Force of Habit: A Consumption-Based Explanation of Aggregate Stock Market Behavior," Scholarly Articles 3119444, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- John Y. Campbell & John H. Cochrane, 1994. "By force of habit: a consumption-based explanation of aggregate stock market behavior," Working Papers 94-17, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- John Y. Campbell & John H. Cochrane, 1995. "By Force of Habit: A Consumption-Based Explanation of Aggregate Stock Market Behavior," NBER Working Papers 4995, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Amartya Lahiri & Mikko Puhakka, 1996.
"Habit Persistence in Overlapping Generations Economies Under Pure Exchange,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
754, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Lahiri, Amartya & Puhakka, Mikko, 1998. "Habit Persistence in Overlapping Generations Economies under Pure Exchange," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 78(1), pages 176-186, January.
- Grandmont Jean-michel, 1983.
"On endogenous competitive business cycles,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange)
- Bhattacharya, Joydeep & Russell, Steven, 2002.
"Two-Period Cycles in a Three-Period Overlapping Generations Model,"
Staff General Research Papers
10250, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Bhattacharya, Joydeep & Russell, Steven, 2003. "Two-period cycles in a three-period overlapping generations model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 109(2), pages 378-401, April.
- Freeman, Scott & Haslag, Joseph H, 1996.
"On the Optimality of Interest-Bearing Reserves in Economies of Overlapping Generations,"
Springer, vol. 7(3), pages 557-65, April.
- Scott Freeman & Joseph H. Haslag, 1996. "On the optimality of interest-bearing reserves in economies of overlapping generations (*)," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 7(3), pages 557-565.
- Scott Freeman & Joseph H. Haslag, 1993. "On the optimality of interest-bearing reserves in economies of overlapping generations," Research Paper 9328, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Azariadis, Costas & Guesnerie, Roger, 1986. "Sunspots and Cycles," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(5), pages 725-37, October.
- Wendner, Ronald, 2003. "Do habits raise consumption growth?," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 151-163, June.
- Paul A. Samuelson, 1958. "An Exact Consumption-Loan Model of Interest with or without the Social Contrivance of Money," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 66, pages 467.
- Gale, David, 1973. "Pure exchange equilibrium of dynamic economic models," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 12-36, February.
- Richard C. Barnett, 2001. "Inflation, taxes, and the coordination of monetary and fiscal policy by use of a game of chicken," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 34(1), pages 82-99, February.
- Smith, B.D., 1988.
"Interest On Reserves And Sunspot Equilibria: Friedman'S Proposal Reconsidered,"
RCER Working Papers
119, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Smith, Bruce D, 1991. "Interest on Reserves and Sunspot Equilibria: Friedman's Proposal Reconsidered," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(1), pages 93-105, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:isu:genres:11328. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephanie Bridges)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Stephanie Bridges to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.