Two-Period Cycles in a Three-Period Overlapping Generations Model
We study the properties of two-period monetary cycles in simple pure exchange overlapping generations economies in which the households live for three periods. We demonstrate that these economies can support cycles under a much broader -- and, arguably, more plausible -- range of assumptions than the analogous two-period economies. We show that economies that fail the well-known Grandmont  condition can have cycles, and that economies that satisfy the condition can fail to have cycles. In addition, we show that economies can have monetary cycles when they do not have conventional monetary steady states, and when aggregate demand for assets is not decreasing in the real return rate at a gross real rate of unity.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||05 Mar 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Economic Theory, April 2003, vol. 109 no. 2, pp. 378-401|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Reichlin Pietro, 1997. "Endogenous Cycles in Competitive Models: An Overview," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 1(4), pages 1-13, January.
- Robert E. Hall, 1981.
"Intertemporal Substitution in Consumption,"
NBER Working Papers
0720, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Reichlin, P., 1990.
"Endogenous Cycles with Long Lived Agents,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1990048, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Peck, James, 1988.
"On the existence of sunspot equilibria in an overlapping generations model,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 19-42, February.
- James Peck, 1986. "On the Existence of Sunspot Equilibria in an Overlapping Generations Model," Discussion Papers 678, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Azariadis, Costas, 1981. "Self-fulfilling prophecies," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 380-396, December.
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel, 1985.
"On Endogenous Competitive Business Cycles,"
Econometric Society, vol. 53(5), pages 995-1045, September.
- James Bullard, 1992. "Samuelson's model of money with n-period lifetimes," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue May, pages 67-82.
- Azariadis, Costas & Guesnerie, Roger, 1986. "Sunspots and Cycles," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(5), pages 725-37, October.
- Simonovits, Andras, 1999. "Are there cycles in realistic overlapping cohorts models?," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 261-275, June.
- Smith, Bruce D, 1991.
"Interest on Reserves and Sunspot Equilibria: Friedman's Proposal Reconsidered,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(1), pages 93-105, January.
- Smith, B.D., 1988. "Interest On Reserves And Sunspot Equilibria: Friedman'S Proposal Reconsidered," RCER Working Papers 119, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Spear, Stephen E., 1984. "Sufficient conditions for the existence of sunspot equilibria," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 360-370, December.
- Aiyagari, S Rao, 1989.
"Can There Be Short-Period Deterministic Cycles When People Are Long Lived?,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 104(1), pages 163-85, February.
- S. Rao Aiyagari, 1988. "Can there be short-period deterministic cycles when people are long lived?," Staff Report 114, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Cass, David & Shell, Karl, 1983. "Do Sunspots Matter?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(2), pages 193-227, April.
- Boldrin, Michele & Woodford, Michael, 1990.
"Equilibrium models displaying endogenous fluctuations and chaos : A survey,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 189-222, March.
- Michele Boldrin & Michael Woodford, 1988. "Equilibruim Models Displaying Endogenous Fluctuations and Chaos: A Survey," UCLA Economics Working Papers 530, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Benhabib, Jess & Day, Richard H., 1982. "A characterization of erratic dynamics in, the overlapping generations model," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 37-55, November.
- Bullard, James & Russell, Steven, 1999. "An empirically plausible model of low real interest rates and unbacked government debt," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 477-508, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:isu:genres:10250. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Curtis Balmer)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.