Habit persistence, money, and overlapping generations
This paper provides a comprehensive characterization of the stationary and non-stationary monetary equilibria in a two-period pure exchange overlapping generations model with multiplicative habit persistence preferences. Somewhat surprisingly, the upshot is that multiplicative habit persistence preferences do not affect the qualitative properties of the dynamical system in these models. In addition, the qualitative properties of models with subtractive and multiplicative habits are largely similar. Any possibility of cyclical fluctuations beyond periodicity two is also ruled out.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lahiri, Amartya & Puhakka, Mikko, 1998.
"Habit Persistence in Overlapping Generations Economies under Pure Exchange,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 78(1), pages 176-186, January.
- Amartya Lahiri & Mikko Puhakka, 1996. "Habit Persistence in Overlapping Generations Economies Under Pure Exchange," UCLA Economics Working Papers 754, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Bhattacharya, Joydeep & Russell, Steven, 2003.
"Two-period cycles in a three-period overlapping generations model,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 109(2), pages 378-401, April.
- Bhattacharya, Joydeep & Russell, Steven, 2002. "Two-Period Cycles in a Three-Period Overlapping Generations Model," Staff General Research Papers 10250, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Reichlin Pietro, 1997. "Endogenous Cycles in Competitive Models: An Overview," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 1(4), pages 1-13, January.
- Carroll, Christopher D., 2000.
"Solving consumption models with multiplicative habits,"
Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 67-77, July.
- Christopher D Carroll, 2000. "Solving Consumption Models with Multiplicative Habits," Economics Working Paper Archive 421, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- Michele Boldrin & Michael Woodford, 1988.
"Equilibruim Models Displaying Endogenous Fluctuations and Chaos: A Survey,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
530, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Boldrin, Michele & Woodford, Michael, 1990. "Equilibrium models displaying endogenous fluctuations and chaos : A survey," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 189-222, March.
- Bruce D. Smith, 1991.
"Interest on Reserves and Sunspot Equilibria: Friedman's Proposal Reconsidered,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 58(1), pages 93-105.
- Smith, B.D., 1988. "Interest On Reserves And Sunspot Equilibria: Friedman'S Proposal Reconsidered," RCER Working Papers 119, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Chang, Winston W & Kemp, Murray C & Long, Ngo Van, 1983. "Dynamic Properties of a Simple Overlapping-Generations Model," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 35(3), pages 366-72, November.
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel, 1985.
"On Endogenous Competitive Business Cycles,"
Econometric Society, vol. 53(5), pages 995-1045, September.
- Bullard, James & Duffy, John, 1998. "Learning And The Stability Of Cycles," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(01), pages 22-48, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:dyncon:v:30:y:2006:i:12:p:2425-2445. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.