Minimum Consumption Requirements and Cycles in an Overlapping Generations Model of Money
This paper studies a pure-exchange monetary overlapping generations economy in which young and old agents face exogenous minimum consumption requirements, and money is the only asset. The presence of the minimum consumption requirement on the old is shown to produce multiperiodic monetary equilibria in which real balances cycle forever between "momentary" equilibrium points (those which generate monetary sequences that potentially violate equilibrium strictures asymptotically).
|Date of creation:||26 Jul 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Iowa State University, Dept. of Economics, 260 Heady Hall, Ames, IA 50011-1070|
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Luís Aguiar-Conraria & Karl Shell, 2006.
International Journal of Economic Theory,
The International Society for Economic Theory, vol. 2(3-4), pages 331-349.
- Boldrin, Michele & Woodford, Michael, 1990.
"Equilibrium models displaying endogenous fluctuations and chaos : A survey,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 189-222, March.
- Michele Boldrin & Michael Woodford, 1988. "Equilibruim Models Displaying Endogenous Fluctuations and Chaos: A Survey," UCLA Economics Working Papers 530, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Bunzel, Helle, 2006.
"Habit Persistence, Money, and Overlapping Generations,"
Staff General Research Papers Archive
12405, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Bunzel, Helle, 2006. "Habit persistence, money, and overlapping generations," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 30(12), pages 2425-2445, December.
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel, 1985.
"On Endogenous Competitive Business Cycles,"
Econometric Society, vol. 53(5), pages 995-1045, September.
- Erkki Koskela & Mikko Puhakka, 2006. "Cycles and Indeterminacy in Overlapping Generations Economies with Stone-Geary Preferences," CESifo Working Paper Series 1737, CESifo Group Munich.
- James B. Bullard & John Duffy, 1995. "On learning and the stability of cycles," Working Papers 1995-006, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Bullard, James & Duffy, John, 1998. "Learning And The Stability Of Cycles," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(01), pages 22-48, March.
- repec:cup:macdyn:v:2:y:1998:i:1:p:22-48 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:isu:genres:12834. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Curtis Balmer)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.