Minimum Consumption Requirements and Cycles in an Overlapping Generations Model of Money
This paper studies a pure-exchange monetary overlapping generations economy in which young and old agents face exogenous minimum consumption requirements, and money is the only asset. The presence of the minimum consumption requirement on the old is shown to produce multiperiodic monetary equilibria in which real balances cycle forever between "momentary" equilibrium points (those which generate monetary sequences that potentially violate equilibrium strictures asymptotically).
|Date of creation:||26 Jul 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Luís Aguiar-Conraria & Karl Shell, 2006.
International Journal of Economic Theory,
The International Society for Economic Theory, vol. 2(3-4), pages 331-349.
- Boldrin, Michele & Woodford, Michael, 1990.
"Equilibrium models displaying endogenous fluctuations and chaos : A survey,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 189-222, March.
- Michele Boldrin & Michael Woodford, 1988. "Equilibruim Models Displaying Endogenous Fluctuations and Chaos: A Survey," UCLA Economics Working Papers 530, UCLA Department of Economics.
- repec:cup:macdyn:v:2:y:1998:i:1:p:22-48 is not listed on IDEAS
- Grandmont Jean-michel, 1983.
"On endogenous competitive business cycles,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange)
- Bullard, James & Duffy, John, 1998. "Learning And The Stability Of Cycles," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(01), pages 22-48, March.
- James Bullard & John Duffy, 1995. "On learning and the stability of cycles," Working Papers 1995-006, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Bunzel, Helle, 2006.
"Habit persistence, money, and overlapping generations,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 30(12), pages 2425-2445, December.
- Bunzel, Helle, 2006. "Habit Persistence, Money, and Overlapping Generations," Staff General Research Papers 12405, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Erkki Koskela & Mikko Puhakka, 2006. "Cycles and Indeterminacy in Overlapping Generations Economies with Stone-Geary Preferences," CESifo Working Paper Series 1737, CESifo Group Munich.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:isu:genres:12834. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Curtis Balmer)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.