Time and Uncertainty in Overlapping Generations Economies
This paper shows the general reversibility of every perfect foresight equilibrium of an overlapping generations economy. It then shows and characterizes the existence of reversible sunspot equilibria in these economies as well, which seems to be at odds with our intuition about the irreversibility of a tree of events. Although the paper establishes also that such reversible stochastic equilibria constitute a negligible subset of all the equilibria of their class, their mere existence may be considered somewhat puzzling for this intuition. Journal of Economic Literature
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 215-898-7701|
Web page: http://www.ssc.upenn.edu/ier/paperier.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peck, James, 1988.
"On the existence of sunspot equilibria in an overlapping generations model,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 19-42, February.
- James Peck, 1986. "On the Existence of Sunspot Equilibria in an Overlapping Generations Model," Discussion Papers 678, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Grandmont Jean-michel, 1985.
"Stabilizing competitive business cycles,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange)
- Chiappori, P.A. & Geoffard, P.Y. & Guesnerie, R., 1990.
"Sunspot Fluctuations around a Steady State: The Case of Multidimensional One-Step forward Looking Economic Models,"
DELTA Working Papers
90-02, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Chiappori, Pierre-Andre & Geoffard, Pierre-Yves & Guesnerie, Roger, 1992. "Sunspot Fluctuations around a Steady State: The Case of Multidimensional, One-Step Forward Looking Economic Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(5), pages 1097-126, September.
- Jan Tuinstra & Claus Weddepohl, 1999. "On the equivalence between the overlapping-generations model and cyclical general-equilibrium models," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 70(2), pages 187-207, June.
- Julio Davila, 2000.
"Reducing Overlapping Generations Economies to Finite Economies,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
1124, Econometric Society.
- Julio Dávila, . "Reducing Overlapping Generations Economies to Finite Economies," Penn CARESS Working Papers 9819996a2b80f99a81bf1509c, Penn Economics Department.
- Julio Dávila, . "Reducing Overlapping Generations Economies to Finite Economies," CARESS Working Papres 00-08, University of Pennsylvania Center for Analytic Research and Economics in the Social Sciences.
- Yves Balasko & Christian Ghiglino, .
"On The Existence Of Endogenous Cycles,"
_001, Theory and Mathematics of the Economy and the Society.
- Gale, David, 1973. "Pure exchange equilibrium of dynamic economic models," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 12-36, February.
- Maskin, Eric & Tirole, Jean, 1987. "Correlated equilibria and sunspots," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 364-373, December.
- Azariadis, Costas, 1981. "Self-fulfilling prophecies," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 380-396, December.
- Julio Davila, 1997. "Sunspot Equilibria in Dynamics with Predetermined Variables," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00286029, HAL.
- Chiappori, Pierre Andre & Guesnerie, Roger, 1991.
"Sunspot equilibria in sequential markets models,"
Handbook of Mathematical Economics,
in: W. Hildenbrand & H. Sonnenschein (ed.), Handbook of Mathematical Economics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 32, pages 1683-1762
- Guesnerie, Roger, 1986. "Stationary sunspot equilibria in an N commodity world," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 103-127, October.
- Davila, J., 1999. "The Connection Between Correlated and Sunspot Equilibria Revisited," Papiers d'Economie MathÃ©matique et Applications 1999.78, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Paul A. Samuelson, 1958. "An Exact Consumption-Loan Model of Interest with or without the Social Contrivance of Money," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 66, pages 467.
- Costas Azariadis & Roger Guesnerie, 1986. "Sunspots and Cycles," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 53(5), pages 725-737.
- Spear, Stephen E., 1984. "Sufficient conditions for the existence of sunspot equilibria," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 360-370, December.
- Cass, David & Shell, Karl, 1983. "Do Sunspots Matter?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(2), pages 193-227, April.
- Julio Davila, 1994. "On sunspot equilibria in overlapping generations economies," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00286031, HAL.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wop:pennca:00-09. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.