Dynamics, cycles and sunspot equilibria in "genuinely dynamic, fundamentally disaggregative" models of money
This paper pursues a line of Cass and Shell, who advocate monetary models that are "genuinely dynamic and fundamentally disaggregative" and that incorporate "diversity among households and variety among commodities." Recent search-theoretic models fit this description. The authors show that, like overlapping generations models, search models generate interesting dynamic equilibria, including cycles, chaos, and sunspot equilibria. This helps explain how alternative models are related and lends support to the notion that endogenous dynamics and uncertainty matter, perhaps especially in monetary economies. Th authors also suggest that such equilibria in search models may be more empirically relevant than in some other models.
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1455 East 6th St., Cleveland OH 44114|
Web page: http://www.clevelandfed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fudenberg, Drew & Diamond, Peter, 1989.
"Rational Expectations Business Cycles in Search Equilibrium,"
3374509, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Diamond, Peter & Fudenberg, Drew, 1989. "Rational Expectations Business Cycles in Search Equilibrium," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(3), pages 606-619, June.
- Peter Diamond & Drew Fudenberg, 1987. "Rational Expectations Business Cycles in Search Equilibrium," Working papers 465, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Li, Yiting & Wright, Randall, 1998. "Government Transaction Policy, Media of Exchange, and Prices," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 290-313, August.
- Coles, Melvyn G. & Wright, Randall, 1998.
"A Dynamic Equilibrium Model of Search, Bargaining, and Money,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 78(1), pages 32-54, January.
- Melvyn Cole & Randall Wright, "undated". "A Dynamic Equilibrium Model of Search, Bargaining, and Money," CARESS Working Papres 97-9, University of Pennsylvania Center for Analytic Research and Economics in the Social Sciences.
- Costas Azariadis & Roger Guesnerie, 1986. "Sunspots and Cycles," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 53(5), pages 725-737.
- Farmer, Roger E.A. & Woodford, Michael, 1997. "Self-Fulfilling Prophecies And The Business Cycle," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(04), pages 740-769, December.
- Peck, James, 1988.
"On the existence of sunspot equilibria in an overlapping generations model,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 19-42, February.
- James Peck, 1986. "On the Existence of Sunspot Equilibria in an Overlapping Generations Model," Discussion Papers 678, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Trejos, Alberto & Wright, Randall, 1995. "Search, Bargaining, Money, and Prices," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(1), pages 118-141, February.
- Kiyotaki, Nobuhiro & Wright, Randall, 1991.
"A contribution to the pure theory of money,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 215-235, April.
- Narayana R. Kocherlakota, 1996.
"Money is memory,"
218, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Shell, Karl, 1971. "Notes on the Economics of Infinity," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(5), pages 1002-1011, Sept.-Oct.
- Duffie, Darrell, et al, 1994. "Stationary Markov Equilibria," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(4), pages 745-781, July.
- Ricardo Lagos & Randall Wright, 2005.
"A Unified Framework for Monetary Theory and Policy Analysis,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 113(3), pages 463-484, June.
- Ricardo Lagos & Randall Wright, 2004. "A unified framework for monetary theory and policy analysis," Staff Report 346, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Ricardo Lagos & Randall Wright, 2002. "A unified framework for monetary theory and policy analysis," Working Paper 0211, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Cass, David & Shell, Karl, 1983. "Do Sunspots Matter?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(2), pages 193-227, April.
- Wallace, Neil, 2001. "Whither Monetary Economics?," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 42(4), pages 847-869, November.
- Hector Lomeli & Ted Temzelides, 2002. "Discrete time dynamics in a random matching monetary model," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 20(2), pages 259-269.
- Wright Randall, 1994. "A Note on Sunspot Equilibria in Search Models of Fiat Money," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 234-241, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedcwp:0210. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (4D Library)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.