Optimal Taxation with Consumption Time as a Leisure or Labor Substitute
This paper studies the optimal commodity taxation problem when time taken in consumption is a perfect substitute for either labor or leisure. It shows that while labor substitutability affects the optimal tax structure, leisure substitutability leaves the classical optimal tax results intact. In the Ramsey tax framework with linear income taxes, whether the consumers have the same or different earning abilities, labor substitutes tend to be taxed at a higher rate than leisure substitutes with the tax differential being increasing in consumption time. This is not necessarily the case when one allows for nonlinear income taxation.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Forthcoming in Journal of Public Economics|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kingston, Ontario, K7L 3N6|
Phone: (613) 533-2250
Fax: (613) 533-6668
Web page: http://qed.econ.queensu.ca/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Firouz Gahvari, 2007. "On Optimal Commodity Taxes When Consumption Is Time Consuming," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 9(1), pages 1-27, 02.
- Deaton, Angus, 1977. "Equity, efficiency, and the structure of indirect taxation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 299-312, December.
- K. K. Lancaster, 2010. "A New Approach to Consumer Theory," Levine's Working Paper Archive 1385, David K. Levine.
- Bergstrom, T. & Blomquist, S., 1993.
"The Political Economy of Subsidized Day Care,"
93-30, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory.
- Ted Bergstrom & Soren Blomquist, 1994. "Political Economy of Subsidized Day Care," Public Economics 9401001, EconWPA.
- Bergstrom, T. & Blomqust, S., 1993. "The Political Econmomy of Subsidized Day Care," Papers 1993-15, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Theodore C. Bergstrom & Sören Blomquist, . "The Political Economy of Subsidized Day Care," ELSE working papers 015, ESRC Centre on Economics Learning and Social Evolution.
- Ted Bergstrom & Soren Blomquist, 1994. "The Political Economy of Publicly Supplied Day Care," Papers _034, University of Michigan, Department of Economics.
- W. J. Corlett & D. C. Hague, 1953. "Complementarity and the Excess Burden of Taxation," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 21(1), pages 21-30.
- Sandmo, Agnar, 1974. "A Note on the Structure of Optimal Taxation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 64(4), pages 701-06, September.
- Kleven, Henrik Jacobsen & Richter, Wolfram F & Sorensen, Peter Birch, 2000.
"Optimal Taxation with Household Production,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 52(3), pages 584-94, July.
- Kelvin J. Lancaster, 1966. "A New Approach to Consumer Theory," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 74, pages 132.
- Kleven, Henrik Jacobsen, 2004. "Optimum taxation and the allocation of time," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(3-4), pages 545-557, March.
- Firouz Gahvari & C.C. Yang, 1993. "Optimal Commodity Taxation and Household Consumption Activities," Public Finance Review, , vol. 21(4), pages 479-487, October.
- Peter A. Diamond & J. A. Mirrlees, 1968. "Optimal Taxation and Public Production," Working papers 22, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Alan J. Auerbach & James R. Hines Jr., 2001.
"Taxation and Economic Efficiency,"
NBER Working Papers
8181, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- P. A. Diamond, 1975.
"A Many-Person Ramsey Tax Rule,"
146, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Atkinson, A. B. & Stiglitz, J. E., 1976. "The design of tax structure: Direct versus indirect taxation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1-2), pages 55-75.
- Cremer, Helmuth & Gahvari, Firouz, 1997. "In-kind transfers, self-selection and optimal tax policy," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 97-114, January.
- Diamond, Peter A & Mirrlees, James A, 1971. "Optimal Taxation and Public Production II: Tax Rules," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(3), pages 261-78, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:qed:wpaper:1068. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Babcock)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.