Pricing of Transport Networks, Redistribution and Optimal Taxation
We study optimal pricing of roads and public transport in presence of nonlinear in- come taxation. Individuals are heterogeneous in unobservable earning ability. Optimal transport tarifs depend on time costs of travel and work schedule adjustments (days and hours worked per day) as a response to commuting costs. We find that discounts for low income individuals are optimal only if the time cost of a trip is small enough. Lower travel time costs facilitate screening: therefore, redistribution provides an additional motive for congestion pricing. Finally, we investigate the desirability of means-testing of transport tarifs.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: (+33) 5 61 12 86 23|
Web page: http://www.tse-fr.eu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- DE BORGER, Bruno & WUYTS, Bart, 2010.
"The structure of the labour market, telecommuting, and optimal peak period congestion tolls: A numerical optimisation model,"
2010013, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- De Borger, Bruno & Wuyts, Bart, 2011. "The structure of the labor market, telecommuting, and optimal peak period congestion tolls: A numerical optimization model," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(5), pages 426-438, September.
- Robin Boadway & Firouz Gahvari, 2006.
"Optimal Taxation with Consumption Time as a Leisure or Labor Substitute,"
1068, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Boadway, Robin & Gahvari, Firouz, 2006. "Optimal taxation with consumption time as a leisure or labor substitute," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(10-11), pages 1851-1878, November.
- Gutiérrez-i-Puigarnau, Eva & van Ommeren, Jos, 2010.
"Labour Supply and Commuting,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4798, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Eva Gutiérrez-i-Puigarnau & Jos van Ommeren, 2009. "Labour Supply and Commuting," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 222, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Louis Kaplow, 2006. "Optimal Control of Externalities in the Presence of Income Taxation," NBER Working Papers 12339, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Atkinson, A. B. & Stiglitz, J. E., 1976. "The design of tax structure: Direct versus indirect taxation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1-2), pages 55-75.
- Batarce, Marco & Ivaldi, Marc, 2011.
"Travel Demand Model with Heterogeneous Users and Endogenous Congestion: An application to optimal pricing of bus services,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8416, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Batarce, Marco & Ivaldi, Marc, 2010. "Travel Demand Model with Heterogeneous Users and Endogenous Congestion: An application to optimal pricing of bus services," IDEI Working Papers 659, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse, revised Apr 2011.
- Batarce, Marco & Ivaldi, Marc, 2010. "Travel Demand Model with Heterogeneous Users and Endogenous Congestion: An application to optimal pricing of bus services," TSE Working Papers 10-226, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE), revised Apr 2011.
- Claus Thustrup Kreiner & Nicolaj Verdelin, 2008.
"Optimal Provision of Public Goods: A Synthesis,"
EPRU Working Paper Series
08-05, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Boadway, Robin & Keen, Michael, 1993.
"Public Goods, Self-Selection and Optimal Income Taxation,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 34(3), pages 463-78, August.
- Robin Boadway & Michael Keen, 1991. "Public Goods, Self-Selection and Optimal Income Taxation," Working Papers 828, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Firouz Gahvari, 2007. "On Optimal Commodity Taxes When Consumption Is Time Consuming," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 9(1), pages 1-27, 02.
- Tomás Serebrisky & AndrÃ©s Gómez‐Lobo & Nicolás Estupiñán & Ramón Muñoz‐Raskin, 2009.
"Affordability and Subsidies in Public Urban Transport: What Do We Mean, What Can Be Done?,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(6), pages 715-739, January.
- Estupinan, Nicolas & Gomez-Lobo, Andres & Munoz-Raskin, Ramon & Serebrisky,Tomas, 2007. "Affordability and subsidies in public urban transport : what do we mean, what can be done?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4440, The World Bank.
- Cremer, Helmuth & Gahvari, Firouz & Ladoux, Norbert, 1998. "Externalities and optimal taxation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(3), pages 343-364, December.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:20090008 is not listed on IDEAS
- Cremer, Helmuth & Gahvari, Firouz, 2002.
" Nonlinear Pricing, Redistribution, and Optimal Tax Policy,"
Journal of Public Economic Theory,
Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 4(2), pages 139-61.
- Cremer, H. & Gahvari, F., 1996. "Nonlinear Pricing, Redistribution and Optimal Tax Policy," Papers 95.393, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Jukka Pirttilä & Matti Tuomala, 1997. "Income Tax, Commodity Tax and Environmental Policy," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 4(3), pages 379-393, July.
- Kurt Van Dender, 2003. "Transport Taxes with Multiple Trip Purposes," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 105(2), pages 295-310, 06.
- Lindsey, Robin & Wang, Judith & Yang, Hai, 2010.
"Nonlinear Pricing on Private Roads with Congestion and Toll Collection Costs,"
2010-3, University of Alberta, Department of Economics.
- Wang, Judith Y.T. & Lindsey, Robin & Yang, Hai, 2011. "Nonlinear pricing on private roads with congestion and toll collection costs," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 9-40, January.
- Mayeres, Inge & Proost, Stef, 1997. " Optimal Tax and Public Investment Rules for Congestion Type of Externalities," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 99(2), pages 261-79, June.
- Borger, Bruno De, 2011. "Optimal congestion taxes in a time allocation model," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 79-95, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tse:wpaper:25766. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.