Eroded Coffee Traceability and Its Impact on Export Coffee Prices for Ethiopia
In December 2008, the Ethiopian Commodity Exchange (ECX) opened a new coffee platform that has transformed Ethiopia’s coffee trade. The way ECX handles coffee in a commodity fashion has eroded traceability, a characteristic sought after by overseas coffee buyers. This paper traces the forces that give rise to the commoditization of coffee. An empirical analysis using a dataset on export coffee transactions supports the view that eroded traceability suppresses the export price of non-traceable, ECX-sourced coffee, relative to fully traceable coffee. The cumulative monetary is estimated to be 280 million USD, equivalent to 26% of farmer’ farm gate income from coffee.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kingston, Ontario, K7L 3N6|
Phone: (613) 533-2250
Fax: (613) 533-6668
Web page: http://www.econ.queensu.ca/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arslan, Aslıhan & Reicher, Christopher Phillip, 2010.
"The Effects of the Coffee Trademarking Initiative and Starbucks Publicity on Export Prices of Ethiopian Coffee,"
Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Hannover 2010
22, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Aslihan Arslan & Christopher P. Reicher, 2011. "The Effects of the Coffee Trademarking Initiative and Starbucks Publicity on Export Prices of Ethiopian Coffee," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 20(5), pages 704-736, November.
- Aslihan Arslan & Christopher P. Reicher, 2010. "The Effects of the Coffee Trademarking Initiative and Starbucks Publicity on Export Prices of Ethiopian Coffee," Kiel Working Papers 1606, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Worako, Tadesse Kumma & van Schalkwyk, Herman D. & Alemu, Zerihun Gudeta & Ayele, Gezahegn, 2008. "Producer price and price transmission in a deregulated Ethiopian coffee market," Agrekon, Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA), vol. 47(4), pages -, December.
- Boansi, David & Crentsil, Christian, 2013.
"Competitiveness and determinants of coffee exports, producer price and production for Ethiopia,"
48869, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- David BOANSI & Christian CRENTSIL, 2013. "Competitiveness and Determinants of Coffee Exports, Producer Price and Production for Ethiopia," Journal of Advanced Research in Economics and International Business, ASERS Publishing, vol. 1(1), pages 31-56, August.
- Arslan, Aslıhan & Reicher, Christopher Phillip, 2010. "The effects of the Coffee Trademarking Initiative and Starbucks publicity on export prices of Ethiopian coffee," Kiel Working Papers 1606, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:qed:dpaper:249. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bahman Kashi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.