Fiscal Consolidation in a Small Euro Area Economy
This article focuses on the costs and benefits of a fiscal consolidation in a small euro area economy. The macroeconomic impacts and the welfare analysis are conducted in a New-Keynesian general equilibrium model with non-Ricardian agents. We define a benchmark fiscal consolidation strategy based on a permanent reduction in Government expenditure. We find that, over the long run, fiscal consolidation leads to a considerable increase in the level of output and consumption, and is welfare improving. In addition, the gains are boosted if the fiscal strategy also involves a tax reform that shifts the tax burden away from labour income towards the final goods consumption. However, important short-run costs arise, notably output, consumption and welfare losses. Finally, we assess the effect of alternative fiscal consolidation paths in terms of the degree of front loading, the speed of its completion and the interaction with risk premium.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 21 321 32 00
Fax: 21 346 48 43
Web page: http://www.bportugal.pt
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Romain Ranciere & Michael Kumhof, 2010.
"Inequality, Leverage and Crises,"
IMF Working Papers
10/268, International Monetary Fund.
- Proietti, Tommaso & Musso, Alberto, 2007.
"Growth accounting for the euro area: a structural approach,"
Working Paper Series
0804, European Central Bank.
- Kilponen, Juha & Ripatti , Antti, 2006. "Labour and product market competition in a small open economy, Simulation results using a DGE model of the Finnish economy," Research Discussion Papers 5/2006, Bank of Finland.
- Coenen, Günter & McAdam, Peter & Straub, Roland, 2007.
"Tax reform and labour-market performance in the euro area: a simulation-based analysis using the New Area-Wide Model,"
Working Paper Series
0747, European Central Bank.
- Coenen, Günter & McAdam, Peter & Straub, Roland, 2008. "Tax reform and labour-market performance in the euro area: A simulation-based analysis using the New Area-Wide Model," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 2543-2583, August.
- Enrique G. Mendoza, 2006.
"Real Exchange Rate Volatility and the Price of Nontradables in Sudden-Stop-Prone Economies,"
IMF Working Papers
06/88, International Monetary Fund.
- Enrique G. Mendoza, 2005. "Real Exchange Rate Volatility and the Price of Nontradables in Sudden-Stop-Prone Economies," NBER Working Papers 11691, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stephanie Schmitt-Grohe & Martin Uribe, 2001.
"Closing Small Open Economy Models,"
Departmental Working Papers
200115, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Rotemberg, Julio J, 1982. "Monopolistic Price Adjustment and Aggregate Output," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(4), pages 517-31, October.
- Vanda Almeida & Gabriela Lopes de Castro & Ricardo Mourinho Félix, 2008.
"Improving Competition in the Non-Tradable Goods and Labour Markets: The Portuguese Case,"
w200816, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Vanda Almeida & Gabriela Castro & Ricardo Félix, 2010. "Improving competition in the non-tradable goods and labour markets: the Portuguese case," Portuguese Economic Journal, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 163-193, December.
- Mourinho Félix, Ricardo & Almeida, Vanda & Castro, Gabriela, 2008. "Improving competition in the non-tradable goods and labour markets: the Portuguese case," MPRA Paper 13945, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Emanuele Baldacci & Sanjeev Gupta & Carlos Mulas-Granados, 2010. "Restoring Debt Sustainability After Crises; Implications for the Fiscal Mix," IMF Working Papers 10/232, International Monetary Fund.
- Ganelli, Giovanni, 2003.
"The New Open Economy Macroeconomics of Government Debt,"
Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2003
83, Royal Economic Society.
- Ganelli, Giovanni, 2005. "The new open economy macroeconomics of government debt," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 167-184, January.
- Giovanni Ganelli, 2002. "The New Open Economy Macroeconomics of Government Debt," Trinity Economics Papers 200214, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- Erceg, Christopher J. & Henderson, Dale W. & Levin, Andrew T., 2000.
"Optimal monetary policy with staggered wage and price contracts,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 281-313, October.
- Ryo Kato & Takayuki Tsuruga, 2002. "Matlab code for a sticky wage/price model," QM&RBC Codes 114, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Christopher J. Erceg & Dale W. Henderson & Andrew T. Levin, 1999. "Optimal monetary policy with staggered wage and price contracts," International Finance Discussion Papers 640, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to solve Erceg-Henderson-Levin model," Statistical Software Components RTZ00051, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Andrew Levin & Christopher J. Erceg & Dale W. Henderson, 1999. "Optimal Monetary Policy with Staggered Wage and Price Contracts," Computing in Economics and Finance 1999 1151, Society for Computational Economics.
- Pasquale Scaramozzino & Giancarlo Marini, 2000. "Social time preference," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 13(4), pages 639-645.
- Coenen, Günter & Mohr, Matthias & Straub, Roland, 2008.
"Fiscal consolidation in the euro area: long-run benefits and short-run costs,"
Working Paper Series
0902, European Central Bank.
- Coenen, Günter & Mohr, Matthias & Straub, Roland, 2008. "Fiscal consolidation in the euro area: Long-run benefits and short-run costs," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 912-932, September.
- Michael D. Bordo & Christopher M. Meissner, 2012.
"Does Inequality Lead to a Financial Crisis?,"
NBER Working Papers
17896, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Douglas Laxton & Paolo Pesenti, 2003.
"Monetary Rules for Small, Open, Emerging Economies,"
NBER Working Papers
9568, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Laxton, Douglas & Pesenti, Paolo, 2003. "Monetary rules for small, open, emerging economies," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(5), pages 1109-1146, July.
- Romain Ranciere & Nathaniel A. Throckmorton & Michael Kumhof & Claire Lebarz & Alexander W. Richter, 2012. "Income Inequality and Current Account Imbalances," IMF Working Papers 12/8, International Monetary Fund.
- Alberto Musso & Thomas Westermann, 2005. "Assessing potential output growth in the euro area - a growth accounting perspective," Occasional Paper Series 22, European Central Bank.
- Giancarlo Corsetti & Keith Kuester & André Meier & Gernot J. Müller, 2010.
"Debt Consolidation and Fiscal Stabilization of Deep Recessions,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 100(2), pages 41-45, May.
- Corsetti, Giancarlo & Kuester, Keith & Meier, André & Müller, Gernot, 2010. "Debt consolidation and fiscal stabilization of deep recessions," CEPR Discussion Papers 7649, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Giancarlo Corsetti & Keith Kuester & Andre Meier & Gernot J. Mueller, 2010. "Debt Consolidation and Fiscal Stabilization of Deep Recessions," Economics Working Papers ECO2010/03, European University Institute.
- Salvador Barrios & Sven Langedijk & Lucio Pench, 2010. "EU fiscal consolidation after the financial crisis. Lessons from past experiences," European Economy - Economic Papers 418, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Clinton, Kevin & Kumhof, Michael & Laxton, Douglas & Mursula, Susanna, 2011. "Deficit reduction: Short-term pain for long-term gain," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 118-139, January.
- Ricardo Mourinho Félix & Vanda Almeida, 2006. "Computing Potential Output and the Output Gap for the Portuguese Economy," Economic Bulletin and Financial Stability Report Articles, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ptu:wpaper:w201105. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (DEE-NTDD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.