Interaction between Underground Employment and Unions in selected Italian industries
In this paper we investigate empirically the nature of the relation between underground employment and unions in Italy, focusing on certain productive sectors. The motivation for this analysis is the hypothesis of the existence of two different opposite channels through which unions affect underground employment: a macro-effect, generating shadow activities via higher wages and market rigidities; a micro-effect, entailing a negative impact of trade union power on underground employment. We consider two different measures of the bargaining power of trade unions, i.e. wages and net density. Econometric analysis of Italian data yields three main results. First, mechanisms of interaction between underground employment and unions change profoundly according to the nature of the industry. Second, the two indexes of the trade unions? bargaining power play a different role vis-à-vis the extent of underground employment. Third, there is a counter-intuitive interaction between wage and underground employment, which may be explained in an insider-outsider framework.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||Jun 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://economia.uniparthenope.it/ise/sito/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Elisabetta Marzano, 2004. "Dual Labour Market Theories And Irregular Jobs: Is There a Dualism Even in The Irregular Sector?," CELPE Discussion Papers 81, CELPE - Centre of Labour Economics and Economic Policy, University of Salerno, Italy.
- Loayza, Norman A., 1997.
"The economics of the informal sector : a simple model and some empirical evidence from Latin America,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1727, The World Bank.
- Loayza, Norman V., 1996. "The economics of the informal sector: a simple model and some empirical evidence from Latin America," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 129-162, December.
- Ann-Sofie Kolm & Birthe Larsen, 2003.
"Wages, Unemployment, and the Underground Economy,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1086, CESifo Group Munich.
- Kolm, Anne-Sofie & Larsen, Birthe, 2003. "Wages, unemployment, and the underground economy," Working Papers 11-2003, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Economics.
- Kolm, A.S. & Larsen, B., 2001. "Wages, Unemployment, and the Underground Economy," Papers 2001:08, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Kolm, Ann-Sofie & Larsen, Birthe, 2001. "Wages, Unemployment, and the Underground Economy," Working Paper Series 2001:8, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Fugazza, Marco & Jacques, Jean-Francois, 2004.
"Labor market institutions, taxation and the underground economy,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 88(1-2), pages 395-418, January.
- Jacques, Jean-François & Fugazza, Marco, 2004. "Labor market institutions, taxation and the underground economy," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/1888, Paris Dauphine University.
- Francesco Busato & Bruno Chiarini, 2004. "Market and underground activities in a two-sector dynamic equilibrium model," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 23(4), pages 831-861, May.
- Kidd, David P & Oswald, Andrew J, 1987. "A Dynamic Model of Trade Union Behaviour," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 54(215), pages 355-65, August.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Tito Boeri & Pietro Garibaldi, .
"Shadow Activity and Unemployment in a Depressed Labor Market,"
177, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Boeri, Tito & Garibaldi, Pietro, 2002. "Shadow Activity and Unemployment in a Depressed Labour Market," CEPR Discussion Papers 3433, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Maurizio Bovi, 2007. "Shadow Employment and Labor Productivity Dynamics," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 21(4-5), pages 735-761, December.
- Busato, Francesco & Chiarini, Bruno & Rey, Guido M., 2012. "Equilibrium implications of fiscal policy with tax evasion: A long run perspective," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 197-214.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501, March.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521464673 is not listed on IDEAS
- Chiarini Bruno & Marchetti Enrico, 2000. "Modelli dinamici del sindacato: estensioni e critiche," Economia politica, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 1, pages 113-148.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:prt:wpaper:6_2008. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antonietta Milano)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.