Interaction between Underground Employment and Unions in Selected Italian Industries
In this paper we investigate empirically the nature of the relation between underground employment and unions in Italy, focusing on certain productive sectors. The motivation for this analysis is the hypothesis of the existence of two different opposite channels through which unions affect underground employment: a macro-effect, generating shadow activities via higher wages and market rigidities; a micro-effect, entailing a negative impact of trade union power on underground employment. We consider two different measures of the bargaining power of trade unions, i.e. wages and net density. Econometric analysis of Italian data yields three main results. First, mechanisms of interaction between underground employment and unions change profoundly according to the nature of the industry. Second, the two indexes of the trade unions’ bargaining power play a different role vis-à-vis the extent of underground employment. Third, there is a counter-intuitive interaction between wage and underground employment, which may be explained in an insider-outsider framework.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Kolm, Ann-Sofie & Larsen, Birthe, 2001.
"Wages, Unemployment, and the Underground Economy,"
Working Paper Series
2001:8, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Kolm, Anne-Sofie & Larsen, Birthe, 2003. "Wages, unemployment, and the underground economy," Working Papers 11-2003, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Economics.
- Ann-Sofie Kolm & Birthe Larsen, 2003. "Wages, Unemployment, and the Underground Economy," CESifo Working Paper Series 1086, CESifo Group Munich.
- Kolm, A.S. & Larsen, B., 2001. "Wages, Unemployment, and the Underground Economy," Papers 2001:08, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Boeri, Tito & Garibaldi, Pietro, 2002.
"Shadow Activity and Unemployment in a Depressed Labour Market,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3433, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tito Boeri & Pietro Garibaldi, "undated". "Shadow Activity and Unemployment in a Depressed Labor Market," Working Papers 177, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Kidd, David P & Oswald, Andrew J, 1987. "A Dynamic Model of Trade Union Behaviour," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 54(215), pages 355-365, August.
- Chiarini Bruno & Marchetti Enrico, 2000. "Modelli dinamici del sindacato: estensioni e critiche," Economia politica, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 1, pages 113-148.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501, December.
- Loayza, Norman V., 1996.
"The economics of the informal sector: a simple model and some empirical evidence from Latin America,"
Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 129-162, December.
- Loayza, Norman A., 1997. "The economics of the informal sector : a simple model and some empirical evidence from Latin America," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1727, The World Bank.
- Elisabetta Marzano, 2004. "Dual Labour Market Theories And Irregular Jobs: Is There a Dualism Even in The Irregular Sector?," CELPE Discussion Papers 81, CELPE - Centre of Labour Economics and Economic Policy, University of Salerno, Italy.
- Busato, Francesco & Chiarini, Bruno & Rey, Guido M., 2012. "Equilibrium implications of fiscal policy with tax evasion: A long run perspective," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 197-214.
- Maurizio Bovi, 2007. "Shadow Employment and Labor Productivity Dynamics," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 21(4-5), pages 735-761, December.
- Lawrence, Sophia. & Ishikawa, Junko., 2005. "Trade union membership and collective bargaining coverage : statistical concepts, methods and findings," ILO Working Papers 994858633402676, International Labour Organization.
- Fugazza, Marco & Jacques, Jean-Francois, 2004. "Labor market institutions, taxation and the underground economy," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(1-2), pages 395-418, January.
- Francesco Busato & Bruno Chiarini, 2004. "Market and underground activities in a two-sector dynamic equilibrium model," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 23(4), pages 831-861, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cai:recosp:reco_605_1155. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jean-Baptiste de Vathaire)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.