Do partial disability pensions close the earnings gap?
In this article, we estimate the total earnings losses of male workers with a partial disability, i.e., they are able to work in a different occupation after disability onset. We use a Spanish administrative dataset (Muestra Continua de Vidas Laborales) from a specific partial disability pension scheme (Incapacidad Permanente Total). Using propensity score estimators combined with difference-in-differences, the estimation of the causal effect of the disability onset shows earnings losses to be approximately €400 per month for the first two years. For male workers over 54, total earnings losses are greater even though they receive greater benefits.
|Date of creation:||May 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeffrey Smith, 2000.
"A Critical Survey of Empirical Methods for Evaluating Active Labor Market Policies,"
UWO Department of Economics Working Papers
20006, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Jeffrey Smith, 2000. "A Critical Survey of Empirical Methods for Evaluating Active Labor Market Policies," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 136(III), pages 247-268, September.
- A. Smith, Jeffrey & E. Todd, Petra, 2005.
"Does matching overcome LaLonde's critique of nonexperimental estimators?,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 125(1-2), pages 305-353.
- Jeffrey Smith & Petra Todd, 2003. "Does Matching Overcome Lalonde's Critique of Nonexperimental Estimators?," University of Western Ontario, CIBC Centre for Human Capital and Productivity Working Papers 20035, University of Western Ontario, CIBC Centre for Human Capital and Productivity.
- Olivier Marie & Judit Vall Castello, 2011.
"Measuring the (Income) Effect of Disability Insurance Generosity on Labour Market Participation,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp1094, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Marie, Olivier & Vall Castello, Judit, 2012. "Measuring the (income) effect of disability insurance generosity on labour market participation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 96(1), pages 198-210.
- Marie Olivier & Vall Castello Judit, 2011. "Measuring the (Income) Effect of Disability Insurance Generosity on Labour Market Participation," Research Memorandum 050, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Marie Olivier & Vall Castello Judit, 2011. "Measuring the (Income) Effect of Disability Insurance Generosity on Labour Market Participation," ROA Research Memorandum 012, Maastricht University, Research Centre for Education and the Labour Market (ROA).
- Kenneth A. Couch & Dana W. Placzek, 2010. "Earnings Losses of Displaced Workers Revisited," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 100(1), pages 572-89, March.
- Sascha O. Becker & Andrea Ichino, 2002. "Estimation of average treatment effects based on propensity scores," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 2(4), pages 358-377, November.
- Riphahn, Regina T., 1998.
"Income and Employment Effects of Health Shocks - A Test Case for the German Welfare State,"
IZA Discussion Papers
10, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Regina T. Riphahn, 1999. "Income and employment effects of health shocks A test case for the German welfare state," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 12(3), pages 363-389.
- David H. Autor & Mark G. Duggan, 2007. "Distinguishing Income from Substitution Effects in Disability Insurance," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(2), pages 119-124, May.
- Judit Vall Castello, 2010.
"Promoting Employment of Disabled Women in Spain; Evaluating a Policy,"
- Vall Castello, Judit, 2012. "Promoting employment of disabled women in Spain; Evaluating a policy," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 82-91.
- Wallace K. C. Mok & Bruce D. Meyer & Kerwin Kofi Charles & Alexandra C. Achen, 2008. "A Note on "The Longitudinal Structure of Earnings Losses among Work-Limited Disabled Workers"," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 43(3), pages 721-728.
- Hugo Benítez Silva & Richard Disney & Sergi Jiménez-Martín, 2009.
"Disability, capacity for work and the business cycle: An international perspective,"
Economics Working Papers
1171, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Hugo Benítez-Silva & Richard Disney & Sergi Jiménez-Martín, 2010. "Disability, capacity for work and the business cycle: an international perspective," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 25, pages 483-536, 07.
- Hugo Benítez-Silva & Richard Disney & Sergi Jiménez Martín, 2009. "Disability, Capacity for Work and the Business Cycle: An International Perspective," Working Papers 2009-28, FEDEA.
- repec:mpr:mprres:6178 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:55920. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.