El impacto de la educación temprana en el mediano plazo
[Medium term effect of early Child-care]
To the best of our knowledge this is the first study to evaluate the medium term impact of early childcare (0-2 years old child). This is carried out by the estimation of efective (actual) marginal returns of early childcare in a non observable heterogeneity context. We estimate the impact on cognitive tests (SIMCE) (Math and Lenguage) taken in the 4th grade of elementary school. Results suggest that early childcare attendance has a nearly zero effect on average population but a negative e¤ect on those who were treated (those who attended all levels of childcare (early, midium, Pre Kinder and Kinder) relative to those non treated (those who attended the latter three levels but not the former). The distribution of the Marginal Treatmente Effect and the estimated parameters of interest suggest that the zero-negative effect would be related to the quality of early childcare.
|Date of creation:||03 Jul 2013|
|Date of revision:||03 Dec 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Berlinski, Samuel & Galiani, Sebastian & Manacorda, Marco, 2008.
"Giving children a better start: Preschool attendance and school-age profiles,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 92(5-6), pages 1416-1440, June.
- Berlinski, Samuel & Galiani, Sebastian & Manacorda, Marco, 2007. "Giving children a better start : preschool attendance and school-age profiles," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4240, The World Bank.
- Samuel Berlinski & Sebastian Galiani & Marco Manacorda, 2006. "Giving children a better start: preschool attendance and school-age profiles," IFS Working Papers W06/18, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Samuel Berlinski & Sebastian Galiani & Marco Manacorda, 2007. "Giving Children a Better Start: Preschool Attendance and School-Age Profiles," Working Papers 618, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Clive R Belfield & Milagros Nores & Steve Barnett & Lawrence Schweinhart, 2006. "The High/Scope Perry Preschool Program: Cost–Benefit Analysis Using Data from the Age-40 Followup," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 41(1).
- Berlinski, Samuel & Galiani, Sebastian & Gertler, Paul, 2009.
"The effect of pre-primary education on primary school performance,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 93(1-2), pages 219-234, February.
- Samuel Berlinski & Sebastian Galiani & Paul Gertler, 2006. "The effect of pre-primary education on primary school performance," IFS Working Papers W06/04, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Samuel Berlinski & Sebastian Galiani & Paul Gertler, 2006. "The Effect of Pre-Primary Education on Primary School Performance," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp838, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Janet Currie, 2001. "Early Childhood Education Programs," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 15(2), pages 213-238, Spring.
- Cunha, Flavio & Heckman, James J., 2007.
"The Technology of Skill Formation,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2550, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Jere R. Behrman & Yingmei Cheng & Petra E. Todd, 2004. "Evaluating Preschool Programs When Length of Exposure to the Program Varies: A Nonparametric Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 86(1), pages 108-132, February.
- Currie, Janet & Thomas, Duncan, 1995.
"Does Head Start Make a Difference?,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 85(3), pages 341-64, June.
- Janet Currie & Duncan Thomas, 1993. "Does Head Start Make a Difference?," NBER Working Papers 4406, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Currie, J. & Thomas, D., 1995. "Does Head Start make a Difference?," Papers 95-10, RAND - Reprint Series.
- Thomas, D. & Currie, J., 1993. "Does Head Start Make a Difference?," Papers 694, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:54183. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.