Innovation, exports and technical efficiency in Spain
This paper analyses the relationship between exports, innovative activities and size and their effect over firms’ technical efficiency and then over their productivity. The analysis takes, also, into account other variables that could affect productivity as industrial sector, or firms’ financial conditions. We use a micro panel data set of Spanish manufacturing firms, during the period 2004–2009, to simultaneously estimate a stochastic frontier production function and the inefficiency determinants. The data source is published in the Spanish Industrial Survey on Business Strategies (Encuesta sobre Estrategias Empresariales, ESEE), collected by Fundación SEPI. Our results show that exporting firms are more efficient than non-exporting firms; and that small and medium-sized firms’ tent to be more efficient when they focus on international markets.
|Date of creation:||27 Jan 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kim, Soo-Il & Gopinath, Munisamy & Kim, Hanho, 2009. "High productivity before or after exports? An empirical analysis of Korean manufacturing firms," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 410-418, September.
- Bruno Crepon & Emmanuel Duguet & Jacques Mairesse, 1998.
"Research, Innovation, and Productivity: An Econometric Analysis at the Firm Level,"
NBER Working Papers
6696, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bruno Crepon & Emmanuel Duguet & Jacques Mairesse, 1998. "Research, Innovation And Productivity: An Econometric Analysis At The Firm Level," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(2), pages 115-158.
- Bruno Crépon & Emmanuel Duguet & Jacques Mairesse, 1998. "Research, Innovation and Productivity : An Econometric Analysis at the Firm Level," Working Papers 98-33, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Subal C. Kumbhakar & Raquel Ortega-Argilés & Lesley Potters & Marco Vivarelli & Peter Voigt, 2010.
"Corporate R&D and firm efficiency: Evidence from Europe’s top R&D investors,"
JRC-IPTS Working Papers on Corporate R&D and Innovation
2010-11, Institute of Prospective Technological Studies, Joint Research Centre.
- Subal Kumbhakar & Raquel Ortega-Argilés & Lesley Potters & Marco Vivarelli & Peter Voigt, 2012. "Corporate R&D and firm efficiency: evidence from Europe’s top R&D investors," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 37(2), pages 125-140, April.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C. & Ortega-Argilés, Raquel & Potters, Lesley & Vivarelli, Marco & Voigt, Peter, 2009. "Corporate R&D and Firm Efficiency: Evidence from Europe’s Top R&D Investors," IZA Discussion Papers 4657, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Zvi Griliches, 1979.
"Issues in Assessing the Contribution of Research and Development to Productivity Growth,"
Bell Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 10(1), pages 92-116, Spring.
- Zvi Griliches, 1998. "Issues in Assessing the Contribution of Research and Development to Productivity Growth," NBER Chapters, in: R&D and Productivity: The Econometric Evidence, pages 17-45 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- De Loecker, Jan, 2007.
"Do exports generate higher productivity? Evidence from Slovenia,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 69-98, September.
- Jan De Loecker, 2004. "Do Exports Generate Higher Productivity? Evidence from Slovenia," LICOS Discussion Papers 15104, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Elena Golovko & Giovanni Valentini, 2011. "Exploring the complementarity between innovation and export for SMEs’ growth," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 42(3), pages 362-380, April.
- Hall, Bronwyn H. & Mairesse, Jacques, 1995.
"Exploring the relationship between R&D and productivity in French manufacturing firms,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 263-293, January.
- Bronwyn H. Hall & Jacques Mairesse, 1992. "Exploring the Relationship Between R&D and Productivity in French Manufacturing Firms," NBER Working Papers 3956, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chih-Hai Yang & Ku-Hsieh Chen, 2009. "Are small firms less efficient?," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 32(4), pages 375-395, April.
- M. Diaz & Rosario Sanchez, 2008.
"Firm size and productivity in Spain: a stochastic frontier analysis,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 30(3), pages 315-323, March.
- Rosario Sanchez & Maria Angeles Diaz, . "Firms' Size and Productivity in Spain: a Stochastic Frontier Analysis," EcoMod2006 272100076, EcoMod.
- repec:fth:inseep:9833 is not listed on IDEAS
- Green, Alison & Mayes, David, 1991. "Technical Inefficiency in Manufacturing Industries," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 101(406), pages 523-38, May.
- Dilling-Hansen, Mogens & Madsen, Erik Strojer & Smith, Valdemar, 2003. "Efficiency, R&D and ownership - some empirical evidence," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 83(1), pages 85-94, January.
- Baldwin, John R., 2004.
"Trade Liberalization: Export-market Participation, Productivity Growth and Innovation,"
Economic Analysis (EA) Research Paper Series
2004027e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- John R. Baldwin & Wulong Gu, 2004. "Trade Liberalization: Export-market Participation, Productivity Growth, and Innovation," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 20(3), pages 372-392, Autumn.
- Patibandla, Murali, 1998. "Structure, organizational behavior, and technical efficiency: The case of an Indian industry," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 419-434, March.
- Delgado, Miguel A. & Farinas, Jose C. & Ruano, Sonia, 2002. "Firm productivity and export markets: a non-parametric approach," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 397-422, August.
- Crepon, B. & Duguet, E. & Mairesse, J., 1998. "Research Investment, Innovation and Productivity: An Econometric Analysis at the Firm Level," Papiers d'Economie MathÃ©matique et Applications 98.15, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:53230. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.