Economic Aspects of the complementarity between Corruption and Crime: Evidence from Italy in the period 1996-2005
This paper empirically investigates the connection between corruption and crime. Such linkage has been often underestimated because corruption has been often analyzed as a white-collar crime. In fact it is not characterized by violence. Recently a theoretical connection has been suggested to highlight that corruption and crime can be considered strategic complements. This paper, therefore, delves into the link between corruption and crime investigating empirically this relation for Italian regions in the period 1996-2005. Results show that current crime is positively associated with past levels of corruption. This somehow confirms the complementary relationship between the two illicit phenomena.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Krueger, Anne O, 1974. "The Political Economy of the Rent-Seeking Society," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 64(3), pages 291-303, June.
- Cameron, Samuel, 1988. "The Economics of Crime Deterrence: A Survey of Theory and Evidence," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(2), pages 301-23.
- Jeff Grogger, 1997.
"Market Wages and Youth Crime,"
NBER Working Papers
5983, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Buonanno, Paolo & Leonida, Leone, 2009. "Non-market effects of education on crime: Evidence from Italian regions," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 11-17, February.
- Corman, Hope & Joyce, Theodore & Lovitch, Norman, 1987. "Crime, Deterrence and the Business Cycle in New York City: A VAR Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(4), pages 695-700, November.
- Maurice Kugler & Thierry Verdier & Yves Zenou, 2003.
"Organized Crime, Corruption and Punishment,"
DELTA Working Papers
2003-34, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Kugler, Maurice & Verdier, Thierry & Zenou, Yves, 2003. "Organized Crime, Corruption and Punishment," CEPR Discussion Papers 3806, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kugler, Maurice & Verdier, Thierry & Zenou, Yves, 2003. "Organized Crime, Corruption and Punishment," Working Paper Series 600, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Kugler, Maurice & Verdier, Thierry & Zenou, Yves, 2004. "Organised crime, corruption and punishment," Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics 0407, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- Isaac Ehrlich, 1996. "Crime, Punishment, and the Market for Offenses," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 10(1), pages 43-67, Winter.
- Paolo Buonanno & Leone Leonida, 2006.
"Education and crime: evidence from Italian regions,"
Applied Economics Letters,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(11), pages 709-713.
- Paolo Buonanno & Leone Leonida, 2005. "Education and crime: evidence from Italian regions," Working Papers (-2012) 0503, University of Bergamo, Department of Economics.
- Beraldo, Sergio & Caruso, Raul & Turati, Gilberto, 2013.
"Life is now! Time preferences and crime: Aggregate evidence from the Italian regions,"
Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics),
Elsevier, vol. 47(C), pages 73-81.
- Beraldo, Sergio & Caruso, Raul & Turati, Gilberto, 2013. "Life is now! Time Preferences and Crime: Aggregate Evidence from the Italian Regions," MPRA Paper 49865, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:oup:qjecon:v:110:y:1995:i:3:p:681-712 is not listed on IDEAS
- Cotte Poveda Alexander, 2011.
"Socio-Economic Development and Violence: An Empirical Application for Seven Metropolitan Areas in Colombia,"
Peace Economics, Peace Science, and Public Policy,
De Gruyter, vol. 17(1), pages 1-23, September.
- Alexander Cotte Poveda, 2011. "Socio-Economic Development and Violence: An Empirical Application for Seven Metropolitan Areas in Colombia," SERIE DE DOCUMENTOS EN ECONOMÍA Y VIOLENCIA 008979, CENTRO DE INVESTIGACIONES EN VIOLENCIA, INSTITUCIONES Y DESARROLLO ECONÓMICO (VIDE).
- W. Groot & H. M. van den Brink, 2010. "The effects of education on crime," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(3), pages 279-289.
- Caruso Raul, 2009.
"Spesa pubblica e criminalità organizzata in Italia: evidenza empirica su dati Panel nel periodo 1997-2003,"
Economia & lavoro,
Carocci editore, issue 1, pages 73.
- Caruso, Raul, 2008. "Spesa Pubblica E Criminalità Organizzata In Italia Evidenza Empirica Su Dati Panel Nel Periodo 1997-2003," MPRA Paper 6861, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Eric D. Gould & Bruce A. Weinberg & David B. Mustard, 2002. "Crime Rates And Local Labor Market Opportunities In The United States: 1979-1997," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 84(1), pages 45-61, February.
- Miron, Jeffrey A, 2001. "Violence, Guns, and Drugs: A Cross-Country Analysis," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 44(2), pages 615-33, October.
- Toke S. Aidt, 2009.
"Corruption, institutions, and economic development,"
Oxford Review of Economic Policy,
Oxford University Press, vol. 25(2), pages 271-291, Summer.
- Gary S. Becker, 1968.
"Crime and Punishment: An Economic Approach,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 76, pages 169.
- George Saridakis, 2004. "Violent Crime in the United States of America: A Time-Series Analysis Between 1960â€“2000," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 203-221, September.
- Kwabena Gyimah-Brempong, 2002. "Corruption, economic growth, and income inequality in Africa," Economics of Governance, Springer, vol. 3(3), pages 183-209, November.
- Goel, Rajeev K. & Nelson, Michael A., 2010.
"Causes of corruption: History, geography and government,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 433-447, July.
- Goel, Rajeev K. & Nelson, Michael A., 2008. "Causes of Corruption:History, Geography, and Government," BOFIT Discussion Papers 6/2008, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Lance Lochner & Enrico Moretti, 2004.
"The Effect of Education on Crime: Evidence from Prison Inmates, Arrests, and Self-Reports,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 94(1), pages 155-189, March.
- Lance Lochner & Enrico Moretti, 2001. "The Effect of Education on Crime: Evidence from Prison Inmates, Arrests, and Self-Reports," NBER Working Papers 8605, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sanjeev Gupta & Hamid Davoodi & Rosa Alonso-Terme, 2002. "Does corruption affect income inequality and poverty?," Economics of Governance, Springer, vol. 3(1), pages 23-45, 03.
- Aymo Brunetti & Beatrice Weder, 1998. "Investment and institutional uncertainty: A comparative study of different uncertainty measures," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 134(3), pages 513-533, September.
- Nadia Fiorino & Emma Galli & Ilaria Petrarca, 2012. "Corruption and Growth: Evidence from the Italian Regions," European Journal of Government and Economics, Europa Grande, vol. 1(2), pages 126-144, December.
- Soares, Rodrigo R., 2004. "Development, crime and punishment: accounting for the international differences in crime rates," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 155-184, February.
- Entorf, Horst & Spengler, Hannes, 1998.
"Socio-economic and demographic factors of crime in Germany: evidence from panel data of the German states,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
98-16, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Entorf, Horst & Spengler, Hannes, 2000. "Socioeconomic and demographic factors of crime in Germany: Evidence from panel data of the German states," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 75-106, March.
- Benjamin Powell & G.P. Manish & Malavika Nair, 2010. "Corruption, Crime and Economic Growth," Chapters, in: Handbook on the Economics of Crime, chapter 13 Edward Elgar.
- Ehrlich, Isaac, 1973. "Participation in Illegitimate Activities: A Theoretical and Empirical Investigation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 521-65, May-June.
- Benson, Bruce L. & Rasmussen, David W. & Kim, Iljoong, 1998. "Deterrence and Public Policy: Trade-Offs in the Allocation of Police Resources," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 77-100, March.
- Sergio Beraldo & Raul Caruso & Gilberto Turati, 2012. "Life is Now! Time Discounting and Crime: Aggregate Evidence from the Italian Regions (2002-2007)," Working papers 013, Department of Economics and Statistics (Dipartimento di Scienze Economico-Sociali e Matematico-Statistiche), University of Torino.
- Mauro, Paolo, 1998. "Corruption and the composition of government expenditure," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(2), pages 263-279, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:49845. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.