Exchange Volatility and Export Performance in Egypt: New Insights from Wavelet Decomposition and Optimal GARCH Model
This paper assesses the link between exchange volatility and exports in Egypt by combining wavelet analysis with an optimal GARCH model chosen among various extensions. The observed outcomes reveal that this relationship is complex and depends then widely to frequency-to-frequency variation and slightly to leverage effect and to switching regime. Indeed, it is well shown that at the low frequency, the coefficient associated to exchange rate volatility’s effect on trade performance is more intense than that at the high frequency and conversely when subtracting energy share from the total of exports. We attribute the apparently conflicting results to the financial speculation, the composition of trade partners and the choice of reference basket’s currencies.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2013|
|Date of revision:||Jan 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fattouh, Bassam & Kilian, Lutz & Mahadeva, Lavan, 2012.
"The Role of Speculation in Oil Markets: What Have We Learned So Far?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8916, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bassam Fattouh, Lutz Kilian, and Lavan Mahadeva, 2013. "The Role of Speculation in Oil Markets: What Have We Learned So Far?," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 3).
- Zakoian, Jean-Michel, 1994. "Threshold heteroskedastic models," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 931-955, September.
- Rabah Arezki & Daniel Lederman & Hongyan Zhao, 2011.
"The Relative Volatility of Commodity Prices: A Reappraisal,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3694, CESifo Group Munich.
- Rabah Arezki & Daniel Lederman & Hongyan Zhao, 2014. "The Relative Volatility of Commodity Prices: A Reappraisal," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 96(3), pages 939-951.
- Rabah Arezki & Daniel Lederman & Hongyan Zhao, 2011. "The Relative Volatility of Commodity Prices; A Reappraisal," IMF Working Papers 11/279, International Monetary Fund.
- Rabah Arezki & Daniel Lederman & Hongyan Zhao, 2011. "The relative volatility of commodity prices: a reappraisal," NCID Working Papers 05/2011, Navarra Center for International Development, University of Navarra.
- Arezki, Rabah & Lederman, Daniel & Zhao, Hongyan, 2011. "The relative volatility of commodity prices : a reappraisal," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5903, The World Bank.
- Rabah Arezki & Daniel Lederman & Hongyan Zhao, 2012. "The Relative Volatility of Commodity Prices: A re-appraisal," OxCarre Working Papers 070, Oxford Centre for the Analysis of Resource Rich Economies, University of Oxford.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee, 2002. "Does black market exchange rate volatility deter the trade flows? Iranian experience," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(18), pages 2249-2255.
- Alquist, Ron & Kilian, Lutz, 2007.
"What Do We Learn from the Price of Crude Oil Futures?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6548, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ron Alquist & Lutz Kilian, 2010. "What do we learn from the price of crude oil futures?," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(4), pages 539-573.
- Lahcen Achy & Khalid Sekkat, 2003. "The European Single Currency and MENA's Exports to Europe," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(4), pages 563-582, November.
- Bahattin Buyuksahin & Jeffrey H. Harris, 2011. "Do Speculators Drive Crude Oil Futures Prices?," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2), pages 167-202.
- John M. Maheu & Thomas H. McCurdy, 2003.
"News Arrival, Jump Dynamics and Volatility Components for Individual Stock Returns,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- John M. Maheu & Thomas H. McCurdy, 2004. "News Arrival, Jump Dynamics, and Volatility Components for Individual Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(2), pages 755-793, 04.
- Ding, Zhuanxin & Granger, Clive W. J. & Engle, Robert F., 1993. "A long memory property of stock market returns and a new model," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 83-106, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:49140. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.