What explains the recent fluctuations in Japan's output? A structural factor analysis of Japan's industrial production
Since the mid-2000s, Japan's industrial production (IP) has been characterized by increasing volatility. To examine the background to this, we apply the structural factor analysis developed by Foerster, Sarte, and Watson (2011) and decompose variations in Japan's IP into aggregate and sectoral shocks taking input-output relationships between sectors into account. We find that aggregate shocks explain most of the fluctuations in Japan's IP and are highly correlated with variations in overseas economic growth, especially since the early 2000s. However, we find a large increase in the relative importance of sectoral shocks when focusing on the more recent increase in the volatility of IP. Specifically, our analysis suggests that the intersectoral spillovers brought about by the disruptions of supply chain network in the wake of Great East Japan Earthquake and the declines of domestic production (or production capacity) in some sectors as a result of a deterioration in global competitiveness or the shift to overseas production have contributed to the recent fluctuations of Japan's IP.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Iyetomi, Hiroshi & Nakayama, Yasuhiro & Yoshikawa, Hiroshi & Aoyama, Hideaki & Fujiwara, Yoshi & Ikeda, Yuichi & Souma, Wataru, 2011. "What causes business cycles? Analysis of the Japanese industrial production data," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 246-272, September.
- Shin-Ichi Fukuda & Munehisa Kasuya, 2012. "A Rise Of China And The Japanese Economy: Evidence From Macro- And Firm-Level Micro-Data," China Economic Policy Review (CEPR), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 1(01), pages 1250007-1-1.
- Andrew T. Foerster & Pierre-Daniel G. Sarte & Mark W. Watson, 2011. "Sectoral versus Aggregate Shocks: A Structural Factor Analysis of Industrial Production," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 119(1), pages 1 - 38.
- Abe, Naohito, 2002.
"The Multi-Sector Business Cycle Model and Aggregate Shocks: An Empirical Analysis,"
117, Center for Intergenerational Studies, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Naohito Abe, 2004. "The Multi-Sector Business Cycle Model and Aggregate Shocks: An Empirical Analysis," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 55(1), pages 101-118.
- Xavier Gabaix, 2005.
"The Granular Origins of Aggregate Fluctuations,"
2005 Meeting Papers
470, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- T. Miyagawa & Y. Sakuragawa & M. Takizawa, 2006. "Productivity And Business Cycles In Japan: Evidence From Japanese Industry Data," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 57(2), pages 161-186.
- Long, John B, Jr & Plosser, Charles I, 1983. "Real Business Cycles," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(1), pages 39-69, February.
- Mitsuhiro Osada & Takuji Kawamoto, 2007. "Stabilization in the Volatility of Output: A Decline in Cross-industry Comovements," Bank of Japan Review Series 07-E-6, Bank of Japan.
- Takeshi Kimura & Kyosuke Shiotani, 2007.
"Stabilized Business Cycles with Increased Output Volatility at High Frequencies,"
Bank of Japan Working Paper Series
07-E-23, Bank of Japan.
- Kimura, Takeshi & Shiotani, Kyosuke, 2009. "Stabilized business cycles with increased output volatility at high frequencies," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 1-19, March.
- Yoshikawa, Hiroshi, 1995. "Macroeconomics and the Japanese Economy," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198233268, March.
- Konomi Tonogi & Katsuaki Ochiai & Kazumi Asako, 2010. "Business Cycles in Japan and in Asian Countries : Tests of Comovements between CI and Trade Statistics," Public Policy Review, Policy Research Institute, Ministry of Finance Japan, vol. 6(2), pages 237-260, March.
- TOKUI Joji & ARAI Nobuyuki & KAWASAKI Kazuyasu & MIYAGAWA Tsutomu & FUKAO Kyoji & ARAI Sonoe & EDAMURA Kazuma & KODAMA Naomi & NOGUCHI Naohiro, 2012. "The Economic Impact of the Great East Japan Earthquake: Comparison with other disasters, supply chain disruptions, and electric power supply constraint (Japanese)," Policy Discussion Papers (Japanese) 12004, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Muto, Ichiro & Sudo, Nao & Yoneyama, Shunichi, 2013. "Productivity Slowdown in Japan’s Lost Decades: How Much of It is Attributed to Financial Factors?," Dynare Working Papers 28, CEPREMAP.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:48615. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.