The Social Costs of Monopoly: A Survey And An Evaluation
Existence of monopoly and its costs to societies have been intensely studied. However, there has been no clear view obtained yet. Studies of rentseeking approach of the public choice school even make the issue more interesting. This paper surveys from traditional Harberger’s triangle approach of social costs of monopoly to the most recent studies and drive some conclusions from it.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Akdeniz İ.İ.B.F. Dergisi 13.7(2007): pp. 149-164|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Klaus Stegemann, 1984.
"The Social Costs of Monopoly in an Open Economy,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 17(4), pages 718-30, November.
- Bergson, Abram, 1973. "On Monopoly Welfare Losses," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 63(5), pages 853-70, December.
- Young, David P. T., 1997. "Dominant firms, price leadership and the measurement of monopoly welfare losses," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 15(5), pages 533-533, August.
- Posner, Richard A, 1975. "The Social Costs of Monopoly and Regulation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 83(4), pages 807-27, August.
- Cowling, Keith & Mueller, Dennis C, 1978. "The Social Costs of Monopoly Power," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 88(352), pages 727-48, December.
- Siegfried, John J & Tiemann, Thomas K, 1974. "The Welfare Cost of Monopoly: An Inter-Industry Analysis," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 12(2), pages 190-202, June.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521319867 is not listed on IDEAS
- Wenders, John T, 1987. "On Perfect Rent Dissipation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(3), pages 456-59, June.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521266550 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:42107. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.