The Social Costs of Monopoly: A Survey And An Evaluation
Existence of monopoly and its costs to societies have been intensely studied. However, there has been no clear view obtained yet. Studies of rentseeking approach of the public choice school even make the issue more interesting. This paper surveys from traditional Harberger’s triangle approach of social costs of monopoly to the most recent studies and drive some conclusions from it.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Publication status:||Published in Akdeniz İ.İ.B.F. Dergisi 13.7(2007): pp. 149-164|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Posner, Richard A, 1975. "The Social Costs of Monopoly and Regulation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 83(4), pages 807-827, August.
- Shoven,John B. & Whalley,John, 1992.
"Applying General Equilibrium,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521319867, December.
- Bergson, Abram, 1973. "On Monopoly Welfare Losses," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 63(5), pages 853-870, December.
- Keem, Jung Hoon, 2001. "The social cost of monopoly when consumers resist," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 633-639, September.
- Klaus Stegemann, 1984.
"The Social Costs of Monopoly in an Open Economy,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 17(4), pages 718-730, November.
- Cowling, Keith & Mueller, Dennis C, 1978. "The Social Costs of Monopoly Power," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 88(352), pages 727-748, December.
- Young, David P. T., 1997. "Dominant firms, price leadership and the measurement of monopoly welfare losses," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 15(5), pages 533-533, August.
- Wenders, John T, 1987. "On Perfect Rent Dissipation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(3), pages 456-459, June.
- Siegfried, John J & Tiemann, Thomas K, 1974. "The Welfare Cost of Monopoly: An Inter-Industry Analysis," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 12(2), pages 190-202, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:42107. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.