The Welfare Effects of Monopoly Innovation
In this paper we study the welfare effect of a monopoly innovation. Unlike many partial equilibrium models carried out in previous studies, general equilibrium models are constructed and analyzed in greater details. We discover that, technical innovation carried out by a monopolist could significantly increase the social welfare. We conclude that, in general, the criticism against monopoly innovation based on its increased dead weight loss is less accurate as previously postulated by many studies.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Nanyang Drive, Singapore 637332|
Fax: 6795 5797
Web page: http://egc.hss.ntu.edu.sg/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kay, J. A., 1983. "A general equilibrium approach to the measurement of monopoly welfare loss," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 1(4), pages 317-331, December.
- Cowling, Keith & Mueller, Dennis C, 1978. "The Social Costs of Monopoly Power," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 88(352), pages 727-48, December.
- Bergson, Abram, 1973. "On Monopoly Welfare Losses," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 63(5), pages 853-70, December.
- Jenny, Frederic & Weber, Andre-Paul, 1983. "Aggregate Welfare Loss Due to Monopoly Power in the French Economy: Some Tentative Estimates," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(2), pages 113-30, December.
- Williamson, Oliver E, 1969. "Economies as an Antitrust Defense: Reply," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(5), pages 954-59, December.
- Geroski, P A, 1990. "Innovation, Technological Opportunity, and Market Structure," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 42(3), pages 586-602, July.
- DePrano, Michael E & Nugent, Jeffrey B, 1969. "Economies as an Antitrust Defense: Comment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(5), pages 947-53, December.
- Flavio Delbono & Vincenzo Denicolo, 1991.
"Incentives to Innovate in a Cournot Oligopoly,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 106(3), pages 951-961.
- Waterson, Michael, 1982. "The Incentive to Invent When a New Input Is Involved," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 49(196), pages 435-45, November.
- Littlechild, S C, 1981. "Misleading Calculations of the Social Costs of Monopoly Power," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 91(362), pages 348-63, June.
- Worcester, Dean A, Jr, 1975. "On Monopoly Welfare Losses: Comment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 65(5), pages 1015-23, December.
- Posner, Richard A, 1975. "The Social Costs of Monopoly and Regulation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 83(4), pages 807-27, August.
- Carson, Richard, 1975. "On Monopoly Welfare Losses: Comment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 65(5), pages 1008-14, December.
- Neary, Hugh M., 1984. ""Labor-managed cournot oligopoly and industry output": A comment," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 322-327, September.
- Kenneth Arrow, 1962. "Economic Welfare and the Allocation of Resources for Invention," NBER Chapters, in: The Rate and Direction of Inventive Activity: Economic and Social Factors, pages 609-626 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hill, Martyn & Waterson, Michael, 1983. "Labor-managed Cournot oligopoly and industry output," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 43-51, March.
- Michael Reksulak & William F. Shughart & Robert D. Tollison, 2008. "Innovation and the opportunity cost of monopoly," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 29(8), pages 619-627.
- Hansen, Claus Thustrup, 1999. "Second-best antitrust in general equilibrium: a special case," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 193-199, May.
- Neary, Hugh M., 1992. "Some general equilibrium aspects of a labor-managed economy with monopoly elements," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 633-654, December.
- David Schwartzman, 1960. "The Burden of Monopoly," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 68, pages 627.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nan:wpaper:0609. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Magdalene Lim)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.