The Impact of Intra Regional Trade Agreement on FDI Inflows in Southeast Asia: Case of Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand
This study attempts to analyze the impact of intra regional trade agreement on FDI inflows in Southeast Asia. The agreement is ASEAN Free Trade Area (AFTA). The observed countries are Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand. These three countries have been selected based on several considerations. Trade indicators of Revealed Comparative Advantage (RCA), Constant Market Share Analysis (CMSA) and Net Export (NX) show these three countries have intra trade advantage in primary products. These indicators are useful to assess how effective AFTA in accommodating her member’s trade advantage products into her priority products list. Furthermore this study attempts to assess the impact of AFTA on FDI inflows as a proxy of its effectiveness on investment. This study adopts econometric model of Panel Data Analysis on both the Static Fixed Effects and Dynamic Panel Data (DPD) Analysis to find the impact of AFTA and other variables to FDI inflows.
|Date of creation:||19 Oct 2012|
|Date of revision:||20 Oct 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shabtai Donnenfeld, 2003. "Regional Blocs and Foreign Direct Investment," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(5), pages 770-788, November.
- Balasubramanyam, V N & Sapsford, David & Griffiths, David, 2002. "Regional Integration Agreements and Foreign Direct Investment: Theory and Preliminary Evidence," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 70(3), pages 460-482, June.
- Mottaleb, Khondoker Abdul, 2007. "Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment and Its Impact on Economic Growth in Developing Countries," MPRA Paper 9457, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Innwon Park & Soonchan Park, 2008.
"Reform Creating Regional Trade Agreements And Foreign Direct Investment: Applications For East Asia,"
Pacific Economic Review,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(5), pages 550-566, December.
- Park, Innwon & Park, Soonchan, 2006. "Reform-creating regional trade agreements and foreign direct investment: applications for East Asia," MPRA Paper 1817, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Jan 2007.
- Michael G. PLUMMER & David CHEONG, 2009. "Fdi Effects Of Asean Integration," Region et Developpement, Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var, vol. 29, pages 49-67.
- Cheong, David & Plummer, Michael, 2009. "FDI Effects of ASEAN Integration," MPRA Paper 26004, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kiki Verico, 2007. "The Impact of ASEAN’s Intra Trade to FDI Inflows from Non-Member States : The Cases of Indonesia, Malaysia & Thailand 1987-2006," Economics and Finance in Indonesia, Faculty of Economics and Business, University of Indonesia, vol. 55, pages 253-281, December.
- Kozo Kiyota & Shujiro Urata, 2004. "Exchange Rate, Exchange Rate Volatility and Foreign Direct Investment," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(10), pages 1501-1536, November.
- Shujiro Urata, 1993. "Japanese Foreign Direct Investment and Its Effect on Foreign Trade in Asia," NBER Chapters,in: Trade and Protectionism, NBER-EASE Volume 2, pages 273-304 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Egger, Peter & Pfaffermayr, Michael, 2008. "Estimating regional trade agreement effects on FDI in an interdependent world," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 145(1-2), pages 194-208, July.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Peter Egger & Michael Pfaffermayr, 2007. "Estimating Regional Trade Agreement Effects on FDI in an Interdependent World," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 100, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Ping Lin & Kamal Saggi, 1999. "Incentives for Foreign Direct Investment under Imitation," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 32(5), pages 1275-1298, November.
- Durham, J.B.J. Benson, 2004. "Absorptive capacity and the effects of foreign direct investment and equity foreign portfolio investment on economic growth," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 285-306, April. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:42087. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.