Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment and Its Impact on Economic Growth in Developing Countries
By bridging the gap between domestic savings and investment and bringing the latest technology and management know-how from developed countries, foreign direct investment (FDI) can play important role in achieving rapid economic growth in the developing countries. The fact is that FDI mostly flows towards the developed countries and only a small portion of FDI flows to a limited number of developing countries. Thus, most of the developing nations almost fail to attract a handsome amount of FDI. Using panel data from 60 low-income and lower-middle income countries, this paper firstly identifies the influential factors that determine FDI inflow in the developing countries and secondly empirically demonstrates the relationship between economic growth and FDI. It is found that countries with larger GDP and high GDP growth rate and maintain business friendly environment with abundant modern infrastructural facilities, such as internet can successfully attract FDI and FDI on the other hand, significantly affect economic growth of a country.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nunnenkamp, Peter, 2002.
"Determinants of FDI in developing countries: has globalization changed the rules of the game?,"
Kiel Working Papers
1122, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Nunnenkamp, Peter & Spatz, Julius, 2002. "Determinants of FDI in Developing Countries: Has Globalization Changed the Rules of the Game?," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 2976, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Peter Nunnenkamp, 2002. "Determinants of FDI in Developing Countries: Has Globalization Changed the Rules of the Game?," Kiel Working Papers 1122, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Ewe-Ghee Lim, 2001. "Determinants of, and the Relation Between, Foreign Direct Investment and Growth; A Summary of the Recent Literature," IMF Working Papers 01/175, International Monetary Fund.
- Singh, Harinder & Kwang W. Jun, 1995. "Some new evidence on determinants of foreign direct investment in developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1531, The World Bank.
- World Bank, 2007. "World Development Indicators 2007," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 8150, June.
- Nuno Crespo & Maria Paula Fontoura, 2005.
"Determinant Factors of FDI Spillovers – What Do We Really Know?,"
Working Papers Department of Economics
2005/06, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Crespo, Nuno & Fontoura, Maria Paula, 2007. "Determinant Factors of FDI Spillovers - What Do We Really Know?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 410-425, March.
- Romer, Paul, 1993. "Idea gaps and object gaps in economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 543-573, December.
- Abdul F. M. Shamsuddin, 1994. "Economic Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment in Less Developed Countries," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 33(1), pages 41-51.
- Wheeler, David & Mody, Ashoka, 1992. "International investment location decisions : The case of U.S. firms," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1-2), pages 57-76, August.
- Root, Franklin R & Ahmed, Ahmed A, 1979. "Empirical Determinants of Manufacturing Direct Foreign Investment in Developing Countries," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 27(4), pages 751-67, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:9457. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.