Economic Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment in Less Developed Countries
This study examines the economic determinants of private foreign direct investment (FDI) by using a single-equation econometric model for 36 LDCs for the year 1983. The market size of the host country as measured by per capita GDP is found to be the most important factor in attracting FDI. The other important variables which influence FDI are found to be the cost factor (such as wage cost) and the investment climate in the host country (represented by such variables as per capita debt). The inflow of per capita public aid and economic instability, proxied by the volatility of prices, are other important factors affecting the flow of FDI. While larger market size and increased inflow of public aid attract FDI, the higher wage cost, poor investment climate, and economic instability in the host countries reduce the inflow of FDI. The model used to obtain these results is found to be structurally stable across countries.
Volume (Year): 33 (1994)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.pide.org.pk
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Root, Franklin R & Ahmed, Ahmed A, 1979. "Empirical Determinants of Manufacturing Direct Foreign Investment in Developing Countries," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 27(4), pages 751-67, July.
- Dunning, John H, 1973. "The Determinants of International Production," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 25(3), pages 289-336, November.
- James Riedel, 1975. "The nature and determinants of export-oriented direct foreign investment in a developing country: A case study of Taiwan," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 111(3), pages 505-528, 09.
- Cardoso, Eliana A. & Dornbusch, Rudiger, 1989. "Foreign private capital flows," Handbook of Development Economics, in: Hollis Chenery & T.N. Srinivasan (ed.), Handbook of Development Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 26, pages 1387-1439 Elsevier.
- Jamuna Agarwal, 1980. "Determinants of foreign direct investment: A survey," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 116(4), pages 739-773, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pid:journl:v:33:y:1994:i:1:p:41-51. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Khurram Iqbal)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.