Regional unemployment and house price determination
This paper investigates the effect of unemployment on house prices in the UK property market to give an indication of the nature of their relationship. By evaluating housing research, including unemployment variables, this paper gives an overview of the uses of the unemployment variable and show the lack of a specific focus on unemployment in house price research. Theories of unemployment are presented as being a component of housing demand. A composite model of house prices against supply and demand variables used in other research is constructed. Using regional UK panel data of a fixed effects panel regression at the national level, the resulting coefficient for unemployment is compared with similar findings from other studies, resulting in unemployment being shown to be statistically significantly negatively related to house prices. Then, using OLS, no real relationship was found in regional house price sensitivity to unemployment, and how relatively rich or poor a region is. This result was possibly caused by problems with the regression as previous research had indicated that relatively richer regions do have a greater sensitivity of house prices to unemployment.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John V. Duca & John Muellbauer & Anthony Murphy, 2010.
"Housing markets and the financial crisis of 2007-2009: lessons for the future,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
33613, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Duca, John V. & Muellbauer, John & Murphy, Anthony, 2010. "Housing markets and the financial crisis of 2007-2009: Lessons for the future," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 203-217, December.
- John V. Duca & John Muellbauer & Anthony Murphy, 2010. "Housing Markets and the Financial Crisis of 2007-2009: Lessons for the Future," SERC Discussion Papers 0049, Spatial Economics Research Centre, LSE.
- Wilcox, James, 1992. "The Baby Boom, Pent-up Demand, and Future House Prices," Fisher Center for Real Estate & Urban Economics, Research Reports qt4987j9wx, Fisher Center for Real Estate & Urban Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Dimitris Korobilis & Michelle Gilmartin, 2011.
"The Dynamic Effects of U.S. Monetary Policy on State Unemployment,"
Working Paper Series
12_11, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Korobilis, Dimitris & Gilmartin, Michelle, 2010. "The dynamic effects of U.S. monetary policy on state unemployment," MPRA Paper 27596, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Meen, Geoffrey, 2002. "The Time-Series Behavior of House Prices: A Transatlantic Divide?," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 1-23, March.
- Hwang, Min & Quigley, John M., 2006.
"Economic Fundamentals in Local Housing Markets: Evidence from U.S. Metropolitan Regions,"
Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy, Working Paper Series
qt79d325cm, Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy.
- Min Hwang & John M. Quigley, 2006. "Economic Fundamentals In Local Housing Markets: Evidence From U.S. Metropolitan Regions," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(3), pages 425-453.
- Michelle Gilmartin & Dimitris Korobilis, 2012.
"On Regional Unemployment: An Empirical Examination of the Determinants of Geographical Differentials in the UK,"
Scottish Journal of Political Economy,
Scottish Economic Society, vol. 59(2), pages 179-195, 05.
- Korobilis, Dimitris & Gilmartin, Michelle, 2010. "On regional unemployment: an empirical examination of the determinants of geographical differentials in the UK," MPRA Paper 28542, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dimitris Korobilis & Michelle Gilmartin, 2011. "On Regional Unemployment: An Empirical Examination of the Determinants of Geographical Differentials in the UK," Working Paper Series 13_11, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- F J Breedon & M A S Joyce, 1993. "House prices, arrears and possessions: A three equation model for the UK," Bank of England working papers 14, Bank of England.
- Charles Ka-Yui Leung, 2004.
"Macroeconomics and Housing: A Review of the Literature,"
Departmental Working Papers
_164, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Department of Economics.
- Leung, Charles, 2004. "Macroeconomics and housing: a review of the literature," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 249-267, December.
- Charles Ka Yui Leung, 2004. "Macroeconomics and Housing: A Review of the Literature," Discussion Papers 00004, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Department of Economics.
- Gathergood, John, 2011. "Unemployment risk, house price risk and the transition into home ownership in the United Kingdom," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 200-209, September.
- Kenny, Geoff, 1999. "Modelling the demand and supply sides of the housing market: evidence from Ireland1," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 389-409, August.
- Jian Zhou, 2010. "Testing for Cointegration between House Prices and Economic Fundamentals," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 38(4), pages 599-632, Winter.
- Birgitta Rabe & Mark Taylor, 2010. "Residential mobility, quality of neighbourhood and life course events," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 173(3), pages 531-555.
- Shiller, Robert J, 1990. "Market Volatility and Investor Behavior," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(2), pages 58-62, May.
- Quigley, John M., 2002. "Transactions Costs and Housing Markets," Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy, Working Paper Series qt6pz8p6zt, Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy.
- Riddel, Mary, 2004. "Housing-market disequilibrium: an examination of housing-market price and stock dynamics 1967-1998," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 120-135, June.
- Robert Edelstein & Desmond Tsang, 2007. "Dynamic Residential Housing Cycles Analysis," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 35(3), pages 295-313, October.
- Benito, Andrew, 2006. "The down-payment constraint and UK housing market: Does the theory fit the facts?," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 1-20, March.
- Gavin Cameron & John Muellbauer, 2001. "Earnings, unemployment, and housing in Britain," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 203-220.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:41785. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.