Intergenerational mobility in educational & occupational attainment: a comparative study of social classes in India
Discrimination against specific ethnic groups transcends the boundary of current generation and perpetuates across future generations as well. This is manifested as low Intergenerational Mobility in terms of both Education and Occupation in developing countries in general, and among specific ethnic groups within those countries in particular. The present paper examines the extent of intergenerational mobility in both educational and occupational attainments for diverse ethnic groups in India to understand the inertia of discrimination prevalent. Results indicate strong intergenerational stickiness in both educational achievement and occupational distribution among the scheduled castes and tribes who have been discriminated against historically. Occupational mobility is lower than educational mobility indicating that educational progress is not being transformed to occupational improvement and brings up the possibility of discrimination in the labour market. This also brings to fore the fact that historical discrimination and social exclusion have had a long run effect and the inertia is quite strong.
|Date of creation:||01 Sep 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert Erikson & John H. Goldthorpe, 2002. "Intergenerational Inequality: A Sociological Perspective," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 16(3), pages 31-44, Summer.
- Checchi, Daniele & Fiorio, Carlo V. & Leonardi, Marco, 2008.
"Intergenerational Persistence in Educational Attainment in Italy,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3622, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Checchi, Daniele & Fiorio, Carlo V. & Leonardi, Marco, 2013. "Intergenerational persistence of educational attainment in Italy," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 118(1), pages 229-232.
- Ira N. Gang & Klaus F. Zimmermann, 2000.
"Is Child like Parent? Educational Attainment and Ethnic Origin,"
Journal of Human Resources,
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 35(3), pages 550-569.
- Gang, Ira & Zimmermann, Klaus F, 1996. "Is Child Like Parent? Educational Attainment and Ethnic Origin," CEPR Discussion Papers 1461, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ira N. Gang & Klaus F. Zimmermann, 1999. "Is Child Like Parent? Educational Attainment and Ethnic Origin," Departmental Working Papers 199614, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Gang, Ira N. & Zimmermann, Klaus F., 1999. "Is Child like Parent? Educational Attainment and Ethnic Origin," IZA Discussion Papers 57, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bhashkar Mazumder, 2001.
"Earnings mobility in the US: a new look at intergenerational inequality,"
Working Paper Series
WP-01-18, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Bhashkar Mazumder, 2002. "Earnings Mobility in the US: A New Look at Intergenerational Inequality," Working Papers 02-11, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Megan Louw & Servaas van der Berg & Derek Yu, 2006. "Educational attainment and intergenerational social mobility in South Africa," Working Papers 09/2006, Stellenbosch University, Department of Economics.
- Sarah Brown & Steven Mcintosh & Karl Taylor, 2011.
"Following in Your Parents’ Footsteps? Empirical Analysis of Matched Parent–Offspring Test Scores,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 73(1), pages 40-58, 02.
- Brown, Sarah & McIntosh, Steven & Taylor, Karl, 2009. "Following in Your Parents' Footsteps? Empirical Analysis of Matched Parent-Offspring Test Scores," IZA Discussion Papers 3986, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Sarah Brown & Steve McIntosh & Karl Taylor, 2007. "Following in your parents' footsteps? Empirical Analysis of Matched Parent-Offspring Test Scores," Working Papers 2007017, The University of Sheffield, Department of Economics, revised Dec 2007.
- Jere R. Behrman & Alejandro Gaviria Uribe & Miguel Székely, 2001.
"Intergenerational mobility in Latin America,"
INFORMES DE INVESTIGACIÓN
- Jere R. Behrman & Alejandro Gaviria & Miguel Székely, 2001. "Intergenerational Mobility in Latin America," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 6485, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Jere R. Behrman & Alejandro Gaviria & Miguel Székely, 2001. "Intergenerational Mobility in Latin America," Research Department Publications 4267, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Peters, H Elizabeth, 1992. "Patterns of Intergenerational Mobility in Income and Earnings," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 74(3), pages 456-66, August.
- Parsons, Donald O, 1975. "Intergenerational Wealth Transfers and the Educational Decisions of Male Youth," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 89(4), pages 603-17, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:40939. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.