Toolkit for stimulating corporate lending
Following the 2009 recession, a turnaround in corporate lending has not occurred in Hungary. Therefore, the risk of the phenomenon known in the literature as a creditless recovery has risen significantly. Based on empirical analyses, a creditless recovery leads to a slower and protracted economic recovery. Moreover, the escalating sovereign debt crisis in the peripheral euro area and banking regulatory responses in the EU may lead to more pronounced credit supply constraints by European banks, which could negatively affect the subsidiaries in the CEE region. The MNB staff has written numerous internal reports on the reasons behind the subdued lending and policy recommendations for reversing this trend. In this paper, we summarize the findings of this background research and review the state’s possible intervention alternatives to boosting corporate lending on both the supply and demand side. We think that the most effective way of intervention is that the public sector assumes partial credit risk from the banking sector, since a contraction in corporate lending can be attributed to credit supply constraints stemming from strong risk aversion by banks, making interest rates cuts ineffective in stimulating demand for loans. At the same time, it is important to note that state interventions involve substantial fiscal costs; simple, cost-free solutions do not exist among the options. Partial credit risk assumption is not an exemption either, as it translates into government expenditures quickly due to loan losses.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Francesca Bartoli & Giovanni Ferri & Pierluigi Murro & Zeno Rotondi, 2011. "Bank-firm relations and the role of Mutual Guarantee Institutions during the crisis," SERIES 0034, Dipartimento di Scienze economiche e metodi matematici - Università di Bari, revised Jan 2011.
- Gergely Fábián & András Hudecz & Gábor Szigel, 2010. "Decline in corporate lending in Hungary and across the Central and East European region during the crisis," MNB Bulletin (discontinued), Magyar Nemzeti Bank (Central Bank of Hungary), vol. 5(3), pages 17-28, October.
- Abiad, Abdul & DellAriccia, Giovanni & Li, Bin, 2011.
CEPR Discussion Papers
8301, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Abdul d Abiad & Giovanni Dell'Ariccia & Grace B Li, 2011. "Creditless Recoveries," IMF Working Papers 11/58, International Monetary Fund.
- Gábor P. Kiss, 2011. "Moving target indication: Fiscal indicators employed by the Magyar Nemzeti Bank," MNB Occasional Papers 2011/92, Magyar Nemzeti Bank (Central Bank of Hungary). Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:40336. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.