Science and technology parks and cooperation for innovation: Empirical evidence from Spain
Science and Technology Parks (STPs) are one of the most important regional innovation policy initiatives. Previous studies show that location in a Park promotes cooperation for innovation but have not investigated if they help to achieve better results from cooperation. We extend previous literature by analyzing how STPs influence the results of cooperation of Park firms and how this influence is channelled. We rely on a much larger sample of firms and STPs than previous studies and account for selection bias and endogeneity when these problems arise. Results show that location in a STP increases the likelihood of cooperation for innovation and the intangible results from cooperation with the main innovation partner, mainly due to the higher diversity of the relationship.
|Date of creation:||09 Jul 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Laura Abramovsky & Helen Simpson, 2008.
"Geographic Proximity and Firm-University Innovation Linkages: evidence from Great Britain,"
The Centre for Market and Public Organisation
08/200, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Laura Abramovsky & Helen Simpson, 2011. "Geographic proximity and firm--university innovation linkages: evidence from Great Britain," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 11(6), pages 949-977, November.
- Laura Abramovsky & Helen Simpson, 2009. "Geographic proximity and firm-university innovation linkages: evidence from Great Britain," IFS Working Papers W09/03, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Sherwat E. Ibrahim & M. Hosein Fallah & Richard R. Reilly, 2009. "Localized sources of knowledge and the effect of knowledge spillovers: an empirical study of inventors in the telecommunications industry," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 9(3), pages 405-431, May.
- Ron Boschma & Koen Frenken, 2011.
"The emerging empirics of evolutionary economic geography,"
Papers in Evolutionary Economic Geography (PEEG)
1101, Utrecht University, Section of Economic Geography, revised Jan 2011.
- Ron Boschma & Koen Frenken, 2011. "The emerging empirics of evolutionary economic geography," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 11(2), pages 295-307, March.
- Ron Boschma & KOen Frenken, 2010. "The emerging empirics of evolutionary economic geography," Working Papers 10-10, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies, revised Nov 2010.
- Andrés Barge-Gil & Aurelia Modrego, 2011. "The impact of research and technology organizations on firm competitiveness. Measurement and determinants," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 36(1), pages 61-83, February.
- Andr�s Barge-Gil, 2013.
"Open Strategies and Innovation Performance,"
Industry and Innovation,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(7), pages 585-610, October.
- Izushi, Hiro, 2003. "Impact of the length of relationships upon the use of research institutes by SMEs," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 771-788, May.
- Amin, Ash & Wilkinson, Frank, 1999. "Learning, Proximity and Industrial Performance: An Introduction," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 23(2), pages 121-25, March.
- Roderik Ponds & Frank van Oort & Koen Frenken, 2009.
"Innovation, spillovers, and university-industry collaboration: An extended knowledge production function approach,"
Papers in Evolutionary Economic Geography (PEEG)
0903, Utrecht University, Section of Economic Geography, revised Feb 2009.
- Roderik Ponds & Frank van Oort & Koen Frenken, 2010. "Innovation, spillovers and university--industry collaboration: an extended knowledge production function approach," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(2), pages 231-255, March.
- Elisa Giuliani, 2007. "The selective nature of knowledge networks in clusters: evidence from the wine industry," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 7(2), pages 139-168, March.
- Marshall, Alfred, 1890.
"The Principles of Economics,"
History of Economic Thought Books,
McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, number marshall1890.
- Vásquez Urriago, Ángela Rocio & Barge-Gil, Andrés & Modrego Rico, Aurelia & Paraskevopoulou, Evita, 2011.
"The impact of science and technology parks on firms´ product innovation: empirical evidence from Spain,"
30555, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ángela Vásquez-Urriago & Andrés Barge-Gil & Aurelia Rico & Evita Paraskevopoulou, 2014. "The impact of science and technology parks on firms’ product innovation: empirical evidence from Spain," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 24(4), pages 835-873, September.
- Mariagrazia Squicciarini, 2008. "Science Parks’ tenants versus out-of-Park firms: who innovates more? A duration model," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 33(1), pages 45-71, February.
- Jose-Luis Hervas-Oliver & Jose Albors-Garrigos, 2009. "The role of the firm's internal and relational capabilities in clusters: when distance and embeddedness are not enough to explain innovation," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 9(2), pages 263-283, March.
- Richard C. Levin & Alvin K. Klevorick & Richard R. Nelson & Sidney G. Winter, 1987. "Appropriating the Returns from Industrial Research and Development," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 18(3), pages 783-832.
- Joshua D. Angrist & Jörn-Steffen Pischke, 2009. "Mostly Harmless Econometrics: An Empiricist's Companion," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 8769.
- Fukugawa, Nobuya, 2006. "Science parks in Japan and their value-added contributions to new technology-based firms," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 381-400, March.
- Dahl, Michael S. & Pedersen, Christian O.R., 2004. "Knowledge flows through informal contacts in industrial clusters: myth or reality?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(10), pages 1673-1686, December.
- Andr Torre Shaw & Jean-Pierre Gilly, 2000. "On the Analytical Dimension of Proximity Dynamics," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(2), pages 169-180.
- Westhead, P. & Storey, D. J., 1995. "Links between higher education institutions and high technology firms," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 345-360, August.
- James H. Love & Stephen Roper, 2001. "articles: Outsourcing in the innovation process: Locational and strategic determinants," Papers in Regional Science, Springer, vol. 80(3), pages 317-336.
- Robert Bennett & William Bratton & Paul Robson, 2000. "Business Advice: The Influence of Distance," ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers wp167, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Maryann Feldman, 1999. "The New Economics Of Innovation, Spillovers And Agglomeration: Areview Of Empirical Studies," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(1-2), pages 5-25.
- Peter Lindelöf & Hans Löfsten, 2004. "Proximity as a Resource Base for Competitive Advantage: University--Industry Links for Technology Transfer," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 29(3_4), pages 311-326, 08.
- Ham, Rose Marie & Mowery, David C., 1998. "Improving the effectiveness of public-private R&D collaboration: case studies at a US weapons laboratory," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 661-675, February.
- Douglas Staiger & James H. Stock, 1997.
"Instrumental Variables Regression with Weak Instruments,"
Econometric Society, vol. 65(3), pages 557-586, May.
- Douglas Staiger & James H. Stock, 1994. "Instrumental Variables Regression with Weak Instruments," NBER Technical Working Papers 0151, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Colombo, Massimo G. & Delmastro, Marco, 2002. "How effective are technology incubators?: Evidence from Italy," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 1103-1122, September.
- D'Este, P. & Patel, P., 2007. "University-industry linkages in the UK: What are the factors underlying the variety of interactions with industry?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(9), pages 1295-1313, November.
- Stefano Breschi & Francesco Lissoni, 2001. "articles: Localised knowledge spillovers vs. innovative milieux: Knowledge "tacitness" reconsidered," Papers in Regional Science, Springer, vol. 80(3), pages 255-273.
- Guilhem Bascle, 2008. "Controlling for endogeneity with instrumental variables in strategic management research," Post-Print hal-00576795, HAL.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:39572. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.