Which firms benefit more from being located in a Science and Technology Park? Empirical evidence for Spain
The aim of this work is to analyse the heterogeneous effect of Science and Technology Parks (STPs) on firms’ innovation outcomes, contingent on firms’ size and innovation effort. Despite the worldwide diffusion of STPs and the increasing literature aimed at analyzing their effect on tenants’ performance, empirical evidence on the heterogeneous effect of STPs location on different firms is very scarce. We use information for a representative sample of 39,722 Spanish firms, 653 of them located on 22 of the 25 official Spanish STP. Results show, on the one hand, that firm size is negatively related to an STP location effect and, on the other, that only a small amount of internal innovation effort is required to achieve a very high return from park location. However, firms without innovation efforts do not benefit from a park location. Finally, as internal innovation efforts increase, the park effect reduces, but is still at a high level.
|Date of creation:||07 Apr 2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Birgit Aschhoff & Tobias Schmidt, 2008.
"Empirical Evidence on the Success of R&D Cooperation—Happy Together?,"
Review of Industrial Organization,
Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 33(1), pages 41-62, August.
- Aschhoff, Birgit & Schmidt, Tobias, 2006. "Empirical evidence on the success of R&D co-operation: Happy together?," ZEW Discussion Papers 06-59, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Pellegrino, Gabriele & Savona, Maria, 2013. "Is money all? Financing versus knowledge and demand constraints to innovation," MERIT Working Papers 029, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Gabriele Pellegrino & Mark J. Maria Savona, 2013. "Is money all? Financing versus knowledge and demand constraints to innovation," Working Papers 2013/21, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Gabriele Pellegrino & Maria Savona, 2013. "Is Money All? Financing Versus Knowledge and Demand Constraints to Innovation," SPRU Working Paper Series 2013-01, SPRU - Science and Technology Policy Research, University of Sussex.
- Chris Forman & Avi Goldfarb & Shane Greenstein, 2008. "Understanding the Inputs into Innovation: Do Cities Substitute for Internal Firm Resources?," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(2), pages 295-316, 06.
- Acs, Zoltan J & Audretsch, David B, 1988. "Innovation in Large and Small Firms: An Empirical Analysis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(4), pages 678-690, September.
- Kuo-Feng Huang & Chwo-Ming Yu & Dah-Hsian Seetoo, 2012. "Firm innovation in policy-driven parks and spontaneous clusters: the smaller firm the better?," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 37(5), pages 715-731, October.
- Marjolein C. J. Caniels & Henny A. Romijn, 2003. "Firm-level knowledge accumulation and regional dynamics," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(6), pages 1253-1278, December.
- Caniels, M. & Romijn, H., 2001. "Firm-level knowledge accumulation and regional dynamics," Working Papers 02.02, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies.
- Dirk Czarnitzki & Hanna Hottenrott, 2009. "Are Local Milieus The Key To Innovation Performance?," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(1), pages 81-112.
- Binz, Hanna L. & Czarnitzki, Dirk, 2008. "Are Local Milieus the Key to Innovation Performance?," ZEW Discussion Papers 08-008 [rev.], ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Czarnitzki, Dirk & Binz, Hanna L., 2008. "Are Local Milieus the Key to Innovation Performance?," ZEW Discussion Papers 08-008, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Klevorick, Alvin K. & Levin, Richard C. & Nelson, Richard R. & Winter, Sidney G., 1995. "On the sources and significance of interindustry differences in technological opportunities," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 185-205, March.
- Alvin K. Klevorick & Richard C. Levin & Richard R. Nelson & Sidney G. Winter, 1993. "On the Sources and Significance of Interindustry Differences in Technological Opportunities," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1052, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Ángela Vásquez-Urriago & Andrés Barge-Gil & Aurelia Rico & Evita Paraskevopoulou, 2014. "The impact of science and technology parks on firms’ product innovation: empirical evidence from Spain," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 24(4), pages 835-873, September.
- Vásquez Urriago, Ángela Rocio & Barge-Gil, Andrés & Modrego Rico, Aurelia & Paraskevopoulou, Evita, 2011. "The impact of science and technology parks on firms´ product innovation: empirical evidence from Spain," MPRA Paper 30555, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Christian Rammer & Dirk Czarnitzki & Alfred Spielkamp, 2009. "Innovation success of non-R&D-performers: substituting technology by management in SMEs," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 33(1), pages 35-58, June.
- Spielkamp, Alfred & Czarnitzki, Dirk & Rammer, Christian, 2008. "Innovation Success of Non-R&D-Performers: Substituting Technology by Management in SMEs," ZEW Discussion Papers 08-092, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Alfred Kleinknecht & Kees Van Montfort & Erik Brouwer, 2002. "The Non-Trivial Choice between Innovation Indicators," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(2), pages 109-121.
- Acs, Zoltan J & Audretsch, David B, 1987. "Innovation, Market Structure, and Firm Size," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(4), pages 567-574, November.
- Elisa Giuliani, 2007. "The selective nature of knowledge networks in clusters: evidence from the wine industry," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 7(2), pages 139-168, March.
- Frenz, Marion & Ietto-Gillies, Grazia, 2009. "The impact on innovation performance of different sources of knowledge: Evidence from the UK Community Innovation Survey," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(7), pages 1125-1135, September.
- Jose-Luis Hervas-Oliver & Jose Albors-Garrigos, 2009. "The role of the firm's internal and relational capabilities in clusters: when distance and embeddedness are not enough to explain innovation," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 9(2), pages 263-283, March.
- Guido W. Imbens & Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 2009. "Recent Developments in the Econometrics of Program Evaluation," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 47(1), pages 5-86, March.
- Imbens, Guido W. & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M., 2008. "Recent Developments in the Econometrics of Program Evaluation," IZA Discussion Papers 3640, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Guido Imbens & Jeffrey Wooldridge, 2008. "Recent developments in the econometrics of program evaluation," CeMMAP working papers CWP24/08, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Wooldridge, Jeffrey M. & Imbens, Guido, 2009. "Recent Developments in the Econometrics of Program Evaluation," Scholarly Articles 3043416, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Guido M. Imbens & Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 2008. "Recent Developments in the Econometrics of Program Evaluation," NBER Working Papers 14251, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hyunbae Chun & Sung-Bae Mun, 2012. "Determinants of R&D cooperation in small and medium-sized enterprises," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 39(2), pages 419-436, September.
- Hyunbae Chun & Sung-Bae Mun, 2012. "Determinants of R&D Cooperation in Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises," Working Papers 1204, Research Institute for Market Economy, Sogang University.
- Negassi, S., 2004. "R&D co-operation and innovation a microeconometric study on French firms," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 365-384, April.
- A. Spithoven & B. Clarysse & M. Knockaert, 2009. "Building Absorptive Capacity to Organise Inbound Open Innovation in Low Tech Industries," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 09/606, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Brouwer, Erik & Kleinknecht, Alfred, 1996. "Firm Size, Small Business Presence and Sales of Innovative Products: A Micro-econometric Analysis," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 189-201, June.
- Bruno Cassiman & Reinhilde Veugelers, 2006. "In Search of Complementarity in Innovation Strategy: Internal R& D and External Knowledge Acquisition," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 52(1), pages 68-82, January.
- Andres Barge-Gil, 2010. "Open, Semi-Open and Closed Innovators: Towards an Explanation of Degree of Openness," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(6), pages 577-607.
- Mark Rogers, 2004. "Networks, Firm Size and Innovation," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 22(2), pages 141-153, 03.
- Tsai, Kuen-Hung, 2009. "Collaborative networks and product innovation performance: Toward a contingency perspective," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 765-778, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:55130. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.