More efficient production subsidies for emerging agriculture in micro Arab states: a conceptual model
Import-dependent arid Arab micro states such as those in the Persian Gulf are particularly vulnerable to food-security risk. Among the many remedial policy suggestions is some initiation or increase in domestic production to insulate these countries from supply disruption, import price volatility and high import prices. This paper does not address the efficacy of domestic production but notes that such production will require government intervention in the form of production subsidies to mitigate market risk. The narrow focus of this paper is to provide a conceptual model of subsidies that avoids many previous problems in established subsidy systems. The paper describes a subsidy model that makes the most use of market signals, avoids perverse incentives, and provides a structure to encourage efficiency, quality enhancement and product differentiation in agricultural products. The system is designed to be WTO compliant. The model has two components: a calculation of the true economic cost of a unit of an agricultural product and a deficit payment that is calculated to bridge the gap between true economic cost and market remuneration. The structure of the deficit payment is crucial to the establishment of a beneficial incentive system. The paper provides a mathematical rendering of the model, analysis of the associated incentive structure and a numerical example for a hypothetical Arab micro state.
|Date of creation:||17 May 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fullerton, Don, 1987. "The indexation of interest, depreciation, and capital gains and tax reform in the United States," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 25-51, February.
- Rosenman, Robert E & Wilson, Wesley W, 1991. "Quality Differentials and Prices: Are Cherries Lemons?," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(6), pages 649-58, December.
- Calum Greig Turvey & H. C. Driver, 1987. "Systematic and Nonsystematic Risks in Agriculture," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 35(2), pages 387-401, 07.
- Lewis, Philip E.T. & Hall, Nigel H. & Savage, C.R. & Kingston, A.G., 1988. "Taxation, Cost of Capital and Investment in Australian Agriculture," 1988 Conference (32nd), February 8-11, 1988, Melbourne, Australia 144037, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Rich, Karl M. & Narrod, Clare A., 2010. "The role of public–private partnerships in promoting smallholder access to livestock markets in developing countries," IFPRI discussion papers 1001, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Klein, Benjamin & Leffler, Keith B, 1981. "The Role of Market Forces in Assuring Contractual Performance," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(4), pages 615-41, August.
- Erickson, Kenneth W. & Mishra, Ashok K. & Moss, Charles B., 2001. "Rates Of Return In The Farm And Non-Farm Sectors: A Time Series Comparison," 2001 Annual Meeting, July 8-11, 2001, Logan, Utah 36148, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- David G. Raboy & Teri Simpson, 1992. "A Methodology for Tariffication of Commodity Trade In the Presence of Quality Differences-The Case of Peanuts," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(2), pages 271-281, 03.
- Lewis, Philip E.T. & Hall, Nigel H. & Savage, C.R. & Kingston, A.G., 1988. "Taxation, Cost Of Capital And Investment In Australian Agriculture," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 32(01), April.
- David G. Raboy & Steven N. Wiggins, 1997. "Intangible Capital, Hedonic Pricing, and International Transfer Prices," Public Finance Review, , vol. 25(4), pages 347-365, July.
- William F. Sharpe, 1964. "Capital Asset Prices: A Theory Of Market Equilibrium Under Conditions Of Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 19(3), pages 425-442, 09.
- Streeten, Paul, 1993. "The special problems of small countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 197-202, February.
- Vincenzo Verardi & Christophe Croux, 2009. "Robust regression in Stata," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 9(3), pages 439-453, September.
- Wiggins, Steven N & Raboy, David G, 1996. "Price Premia to Name Brands: An Empirical Analysis," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(4), pages 377-88, December.
- Narrod, Clare & Roy, Devesh & Okello, Julius & Avendaño, Belem & Rich, Karl & Thorat, Amit, 2009. "Public-private partnerships and collective action in high value fruit and vegetable supply chains," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 8-15, February.
- Landes, William M & Posner, Richard A, 1987. "Trademark Law: An Economic Perspective," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 30(2), pages 265-309, October.
- Philip E.T. Lewis & Nigel H. Hall & C.R. Savage & A.G. Kingston, 1988. "Taxation, Cost Of Capital And Investment In Australian Agriculture," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 32(1), pages 15-21, 04.
- Hicham Benjelloun & Jay Squalli, 2008. "Do general indexes mask sectoral efficiencies?: A multiple variance ratio assessment of Middle Eastern equity markets," International Journal of Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 4(2), pages 136-151, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:38854. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.