Financial stabilization systems, economic growth of developing countries and EU’s STABEX
Understanding the impact of instability of export receipts on the economic growth of developing countries has been an important area of research in development economics for a long time. A substantial body of literature has documented a wide range of empirical regularities according to which export earnings instability (EEI) penalizes LDCs’ economic performance. According to this view, EEI alters the path of economic progress by increasing the uncertainty of financial resources needed to purchase capital goods1. This, in turn, reduces the overall level of efficiency of a country because the formation of capital is distorted by bad investments planning (Commission of the EC 1981, 1997)
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Agriculture and Environment for International Development 96.1/2(2002): pp. 23-51|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lam, N. V., 1980. "Export instability, expansion and market concentration : A methodological interpretation," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 99-115, February.
- James Harrigan, 1998.
"Estimation of cross-country differences in industry production functions,"
36, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Harrigan, James, 1999. "Estimation of cross-country differences in industry production functions," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 267-293, April.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & David Romer & David N. Weil, 1990.
"A Contribution to the Empirics of Economic Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
3541, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Francesco Aiello, 1999. "The Stabilisation of LDCs' Export Earnings. The impact of the EU STABEX programme," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(1), pages 71-85.
- Patrick Guillaumont & Sylviane Guillaumont Jeanneney & Aristomène Varoudakis, 1999. "Economic Policy Reform and Growth Prospects in Emerging African Economies," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 145, OECD Publishing.
- McGrattan, Ellen R. & Schmitz, James Jr., 1999.
"Explaining cross-country income differences,"
Handbook of Macroeconomics,
in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 10, pages 669-737
- Lensink, Robert & Bo, Hong & Sterken, Elmer, 1999.
"Does uncertainty affect economic growth? : an empirical analysis,"
CCSO Working Papers
199902, University of Groningen, CCSO Centre for Economic Research.
- Robert Lensink & Hong Bo & Elmer Sterken, 1999. "Does uncertainty affect economic growth? An empirical analysis," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 135(3), pages 379396-3793, September.
- Lensink, Robert & Bo, Hong & Sterken, Elmer, 1999. "Does uncertainty affect economic growth? : an empirical analysis," Research Report 99E23, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
- repec:dgr:rugccs:199902 is not listed on IDEAS
- Feder, Gershon, 1983. "On exports and economic growth," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1-2), pages 59-73.
- Gyimah-Brempong, Kwabena, 1991. "Export Instability and Economic Growth in Sub-Saharan Africa," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 39(4), pages 81528-81528, July.
- Francesco Aiello, 1999. "Effects of STABEX on ACPs' economic growth: Further evidence," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(9), pages 1033-1042.
- Cuddy, John D A & Della Valle, P A, 1978. "Measuring the Instability of Time Series Data," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 40(1), pages 79-85, February.
- Psacharopoulos, George, 1994.
"Returns to investment in education: A global update,"
Elsevier, vol. 22(9), pages 1325-1343, September.
- Psacharopoulos, George, 1993. "Returns to investment in education : a global update," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1067, The World Bank.
- B. Bosworth & S. M. Collins & Y. Chen, .
"Accounting for Difference in Economic Growth,"
115, Brookings Institution International Economics.
- Catherine ARAUJO BONJEAN & Jean-Louis COMBES & Pascale COMBES MOTEL, 1999. "The Economic Consequences of Export Instability in Developing Countries: A Survey," Working Papers 199926, CERDI.
- Dipendra Sinha, 2004.
"Export Instability, Investment and Economic Growth in Asian Countries: A Time Series Analysis,"
Econometric Society 2004 Far Eastern Meetings
687, Econometric Society.
- Sinha, D., 1999. "Export Instability, Investment and Economic Growth in Asian Countries: A Time Series Analysis," Papers 799, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Jacob A. Mincer, 1974. "Introduction to "Schooling, Experience, and Earnings"," NBER Chapters, in: Schooling, Experience, and Earnings, pages 1-4 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guillaumont, Patrick, 1987. "From export instability effects to international stabilization policies," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 15(5), pages 633-643, May.
- Gylfason, Thorvaldur, 1999.
"Exports, Inflation and Growth,"
Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 1031-1057, June.
- Hewitt, Adrian, 1983. "Stabex: An evalution of the economic impact over the first five years," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 11(12), pages 1005-1027, December.
- repec:dgr:rugsom:99e23 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jacob A. Mincer, 1974. "Schooling, Experience, and Earnings," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number minc74-1, Enero.
- Paul Collier & P. Guillaumont & S. Guillaumont Jeanneney & Jan Willem Gunning, 1999. "Reforming Stabex," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(5), pages 669-682, 07.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:38099. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.