Financial stabilization systems, economic growth of developing countries and EU’s STABEX
Understanding the impact of instability of export receipts on the economic growth of developing countries has been an important area of research in development economics for a long time. A substantial body of literature has documented a wide range of empirical regularities according to which export earnings instability (EEI) penalizes LDCs’ economic performance. According to this view, EEI alters the path of economic progress by increasing the uncertainty of financial resources needed to purchase capital goods1. This, in turn, reduces the overall level of efficiency of a country because the formation of capital is distorted by bad investments planning (Commission of the EC 1981, 1997)
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Agriculture and Environment for International Development 96.1/2(2002): pp. 23-51|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:nbr:nberbk:minc74-1 is not listed on IDEAS
- Cuddy, John D A & Della Valle, P A, 1978. "Measuring the Instability of Time Series Data," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 40(1), pages 79-85, February.
- Gyimah-Brempong, Kwabena, 1991. "Export Instability and Economic Growth in Sub-Saharan Africa," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 39(4), pages 815-28, July.
- Psacharopoulos, George, 1993.
"Returns to investment in education : a global update,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1067, The World Bank.
- Psacharopoulos, George, 1994. "Returns to investment in education: A global update," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 22(9), pages 1325-1343, September.
- Catherine ARAUJO BONJEAN & Jean-Louis COMBES & Pascale COMBES MOTEL, 1999. "The Economic Consequences of Export Instability in Developing Countries: A Survey," Working Papers 199926, CERDI.
- Patrick Guillaumont & Sylviane Guillaumont Jeanneney & Aristomène Varoudakis, 1999. "Economic Policy Reform and Growth Prospects in Emerging African Economies," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 145, OECD Publishing.
- Jacob A. Mincer, 1974. "Introduction to "Schooling, Experience, and Earnings"," NBER Chapters, in: Schooling, Experience, and Earnings, pages 1-4 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- B. Bosworth & S. M. Collins & Y. Chen, .
"Accounting for Difference in Economic Growth,"
115, Brookings Institution International Economics.
- Guillaumont, Patrick, 1987. "From export instability effects to international stabilization policies," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 15(5), pages 633-643, May.
- Lam, N. V., 1980. "Export instability, expansion and market concentration : A methodological interpretation," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 99-115, February.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & David Romer & David N. Weil, 1990.
"A Contribution to the Empirics of Economic Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
3541, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James Harrigan, 1998.
"Estimation of cross-country differences in industry production functions,"
36, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Harrigan, James, 1999. "Estimation of cross-country differences in industry production functions," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 267-293, April.
- Ellen R. McGrattan & James A. Schmitz, 1998.
"Explaining cross-country income differences,"
250, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Hewitt, Adrian, 1983. "Stabex: An evalution of the economic impact over the first five years," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 11(12), pages 1005-1027, December.
- Feder, Gershon, 1983. "On exports and economic growth," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1-2), pages 59-73.
- Thorvaldur Gylfason, 1997.
"Exports, Inflation, and Growth,"
IMF Working Papers
97/119, International Monetary Fund.
- Paul Collier & P. Guillaumont & S. Guillaumont Jeanneney & Jan Willem Gunning, 1999. "Reforming Stabex," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(5), pages 669-682, 07.
- Francesco Aiello, 1999. "Effects of STABEX on ACPs' economic growth: Further evidence," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(9), pages 1033-1042.
- Sinha, D., 1999.
"Export Instability, Investment and Economic Growth in Asian Countries: A Time Series Analysis,"
799, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Dipendra Sinha, 2004. "Export Instability, Investment and Economic Growth in Asian Countries: A Time Series Analysis," Econometric Society 2004 Far Eastern Meetings 687, Econometric Society.
- Francesco Aiello, 1999. "The Stabilisation of LDCs' Export Earnings. The impact of the EU STABEX programme," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(1), pages 71-85.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:38099. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.