Experiences With Traditional Compensatory Finance Schemes And Lessons From Flex
This paper describes some policy instruments set up by the IMF and the European Union in order to provide financial assistance to developing countries whose economies are affected by exogenous shocks from exports side. After briefly reviewing the IMF’s CFF and the EU’s STABEX, the paper presents the operational rules of FLEX and comments on how it functioned from 2000 to 2007. The analysis shows that the FLEX facility suffered from there being inadequate finance allocated to ACPs and from delays in the financing procedure. While these constraints greatly limited the impact of FLEX in the application years 2000-2006, the 2008 FLEX revision eased them and, now, FLEX can guarantee financial support more rapidly than in the past and may more satisfactorily cover the financial requirements of ACPs coping with export earnings instability.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Università della Calabria, Dipartimento di Economia, Statistica e Finanza, Ponte Pietro Bucci, Cubo 0/C, I-87036 Arcavacata di Rende, CS, Italy|
Phone: +39 0984 492413
Fax: +39 0984 492421
Web page: http://www.unical.it/portale/strutture/dipartimenti_240/disesf/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Patrick GUILLAUMONT, 2005.
"Macro vulnerability in low income countries and aid responses,"
- Patrick Guillaumont, 2011. "Macro vulnerability in low income countries and aid responses," Working Papers halshs-00570499, HAL.
- Francesco Aiello, 1999. "The Stabilisation of LDCs' Export Earnings. The impact of the EU STABEX programme," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(1), pages 71-85.
- Francesco Aiello, 1999. "Effects of STABEX on ACPs' economic growth: Further evidence," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(9), pages 1033-1042.
- Aiello, Francesco, 2002. "Financial stabilization systems, economic growth of developing countries and EU’s STABEX," MPRA Paper 38099, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jean-Francois Brun & Gérard Chambas & Bertrand Laporte, 2001. "Stabex versus IMF compensatory financing: impact on fiscal policy," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(5), pages 571-581.
- Jean-Louis COMBES & Patrick GUILLAUMONT, 2000. "Commodity Price Volatility, Vulnerability and Development," Working Papers 200015, CERDI.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:clb:wpaper:200912. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Giovanni Dodero)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.