Wages differentials in Ecuador: A regional approach with sample selection of Heckman and Oaxaca-Blinder decomposition
This paper estimates and decomposes wage differentials in Ecuador. Is corrected by self-selection bias with the two-step methodology proposed by Heckman (1979) and Oaxaca-Blinder decomposition (1973) is checked whether the differences found are due to the initial endowment of human capital or potential discrimination. On the other hand, examines the influence of geography and ethnicity in the level of wages. The data used are from the Survey of Income and Expenses of the National Institute of Statistics and Censuses (INEC, 2009). Through decomposition is verified that the gender wage gap for men, job security for those with contract labor and marital status for married people are due to unobserved factors. While the ethnic wage gap by geographical area, natural areas and by economic sector are due to differences in the initial endowment of human capital.
|Date of creation:||19 Mar 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chiswick, Barry R., 2003.
"Jacob Mincer, Experience and the Distribution of Earnings,"
IZA Discussion Papers
847, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Barry Chiswick, 2003. "Jacob Mincer, Experience and the Distribution of Earnings," Review of Economics of the Household, Springer, vol. 1(4), pages 343-361, December.
- Alaniz, Enrique & Gindling, T.H. & Terrell, Katherine, 2011.
"The impact of minimum wages on wages, work and poverty in Nicaragua,"
Elsevier, vol. 18(S1), pages S45-S59.
- Alaniz, Enrique & Gindling, T. H. & Terrell, Katherine, 2011. "The Impact of Minimum Wages on Wages, Work and Poverty in Nicaragua," IZA Discussion Papers 5702, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Tim H. Gindling & Katherine Terrell, 2010. "The Impact of Minimum Wages on Wages, Work and Poverty in Nicaragua," UMBC Economics Department Working Papers 10-126, UMBC Department of Economics.
- Lam, David & Schoeni, Robert F, 1993.
"Effects of Family Background on Earnings and Returns to Schooling: Evidence from Brazil,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(4), pages 710-40, August.
- Lam. D. & Schoeni, R.F., 1996. "Effects on Family Background on Earnings and Returns to Schooling: Evidence from Brazil," Papers 96-13, RAND - Reprint Series.
- Picchio, Matteo & Mussida, Chiara, 2011.
"Gender wage gap: A semi-parametric approach with sample selection correction,"
Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 564-578, October.
- Picchio, Matteo & Mussida, Chiara, 2010. "Gender Wage Gap: A Semi-Parametric Approach with Sample Selection Correction," IZA Discussion Papers 4783, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Matteo PICCHIO & Chiara MUSSIDA, 2010. "Gender Wage Gap : A Semi-parametric Approach with Sample Selection Correction," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2010005, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Picchio, M. & Mussida, C., 2010. "Gender Wage Gap : A Semi-Parametric Approach With Sample Selection Correction," Discussion Paper 2010-16, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Dante Contreras & Emerson Melo & Susana Ojeda, 2005. "¿Estimando el retorno a la educación o a los no observables?: evidencia de datos de panel," Estudios de Economia, University of Chile, Department of Economics, vol. 32(2 Year 20), pages 187-199, December.
- Takashi Kurosaki & Humayun Khan, 2006. "Human Capital, Productivity, and Stratification in Rural Pakistan," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(1), pages 116-134, 02.
- Heckman, James & Layne-Farrar, Anne & Todd, Petra, 1996. "Human Capital Pricing Equations with an Application to Estimating the Effect of Schooling Quality on Earnings," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 78(4), pages 562-610, November.
- Oaxaca, Ronald, 1973.
"Male-Female Wage Differentials in Urban Labor Markets,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 14(3), pages 693-709, October.
- Ronald Oaxaca, 1971. "Male-Female Wage Differentials in Urban Labor Markets," Working Papers 396, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:37470. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.