R&D intensity and market valuation of firm: a study of R&D incurring manufacturing firms in India
The present study examines the impact of R&D expenditure on market valuation of firm using Tobin’s q. The study uses firm level data for Indian manufacturing sector obtained from Prowess database of CMIE for the period 2001-2010. The study forms an unbalanced panel with 326 R&D incurring (reporting) firms and employs Pooled-OLS and fixed effects models to analyze the relationship between R&D investment and firm value. After controlling some firm specific variables the present study finds an inverted U-shaped relationship between R&D intensity and firm value indicating the diminishing marginal return to each rupee spent on R&D. This finding is consistent with the findings of Huang and Liu (2005) for Taiwan and Bracker and Krishnan (2011) for US. It indicates that, R&D investment have a positive impact on the market value of firm at the beginning, but, when the investment exceeds an optimal level, these investments lower the firm value.
|Date of creation:||29 Feb 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Connolly, Robert A. & Hirschey, Mark, 1988. "Market value and patents : A Bayesian approach," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 83-87.
- Zvi Griliches, 1984.
"Market Value, R&D, and Patents,"
in: R&D, Patents, and Productivity, pages 249-252
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Griliches, Zvi, 1981. "Market value, R&D, and patents," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 183-187.
- Bhattacharyya, Surajit & Saxena, Arunima, 2009. "Does the Firm Size Matter? An Empirical Enquiry into the Performance of Indian Manufacturing Firms," MPRA Paper 13029, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hausman, Jerry, 2015. "Specification tests in econometrics," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 38(2), pages 112-134.
- Hausman, Jerry A, 1978. "Specification Tests in Econometrics," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1251-1271, November.
- J. A. Hausman, 1976. "Specification Tests in Econometrics," Working papers 185, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Megna, Pamela & Klock, Mark, 1993. "The Impact on Intangible Capital on Tobin's q in the Semiconductor Industry," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(2), pages 265-269, May.
- Sarkar, Jayati & Sarkar, Subrata, 2009. "Multiple board appointments and firm performance in emerging economies: Evidence from India," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 271-293, April.
- Jayati Sarkar & Subrata Sarkar, 2005. "Multiple Board Appointments and Firm Performance in Emerging Economies : Evidence from India," Microeconomics Working Papers 22394, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Jayati Sarkar & Subrata Sarkar, 2005. "Multiple board appointments and firm performance in emerging economies: Evidence from India," Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers 2005-001, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
- B. L. Pandit & N. S. Siddharthan, 2003. "MNEs and market valuation of firms: a cross-sectional study of Indian electrical and electronic goods manufacturing firms," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(6), pages 675-681.
- Savita Bhat & K. Narayanan, 2009. "Technological Efforts, Firm Size and Exports in the Basic Chemical Industry in India," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(2), pages 145-169. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:37299. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.