Home seekers in the housing market
There are two types of home seekers in this housing market matching model: the homeless who search for a dwelling both in the rental market and in the homeownership market simultaneously; and the home seekers in the renter (tenant) state who want to buy a home and only search in the homeownership market. The search process leads to several types of matching and in turn this implies different prices of equilibrium. Furthermore, the search process connects the rental market with the homeownership market. Hence, this simple model is able to explain both the relationship between the rental price and the selling price and the price dispersion which exists in the housing market, relying only on the different states of agents in the search process.
|Date of creation:||26 Feb 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:oup:qjecon:v:99:y:1984:i:4:p:729-52 is not listed on IDEAS
- Denise DiPasquale & William C. Wheaton, 1992. "The Markets for Real Estate Assets and Space: A Conceptual Framework," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 20(2), pages 181-198.
- Susan Vroman & Pieter Gautier & James Albrecht, 2007.
"Directed Search in the Housing Market,"
2007 Meeting Papers
372, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Albrecht, James & Gautier, Pieter A. & Vroman, Susan, 2009. "Directed Search in the Housing Market," IZA Discussion Papers 4671, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Susan Vroman & Pieter Gautier & James Albrecht, 2013. "Directed Search in the Housing Market," 2013 Meeting Papers 1370, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Albrecht, James & Gautier, Pieter A & Vroman, Susan, 2010. "Directed Search in the Housing Market," CEPR Discussion Papers 7639, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- James Albrecht & Pieter A. Gautier & Susan Vroman, 2010. "Directed Search in the Housing Market," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 10-005/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- James Albrecht & Axel Anderson & Eric Smith & Susan Vroman, 2007. "Opportunistic Matching In The Housing Market," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 48(2), pages 641-664, 05.
- Antonia Díaz & Belén Jerez, 2010.
"House prices, sales, and time on the market : a search-theoretic framework,"
Economics Working Papers
we1033, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Antonia Díaz & Belén Jerez, 2013. "House Prices, Sales, And Time On The Market: A Search‐Theoretic Framework," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 54, pages 837-872, 08.
- Belen Jerez & Antonia Diaz, 2009. "House Prices, Sales and Time on the Market: A Search-Theoretic Framework," 2009 Meeting Papers 1006, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Charles Ka Yui Leung & Jun Zhang, 2011. "¡§Fire Sales¡¨ in Housing Market: Is the House- Search Process Similar to a Theme Park Visit?," International Real Estate Review, Asian Real Estate Society, vol. 14(3), pages 311-329.
- Charles Leung & Youngman Leong & Siu Wong, 2006. "Housing Price Dispersion: An Empirical Investigation," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 32(3), pages 357-385, May.
- repec:chk:cuhked:_167 is not listed on IDEAS
- Wheaton, William C, 1990. "Vacancy, Search, and Prices in a Housing Market Matching Model," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(6), pages 1270-92, December.
- Andrew Caplin & John Leahy, 2008.
"Trading Frictions and House Price Dynamics,"
NBER Working Papers
14605, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Leung, Charles Ka Yui & Zhang, Jun, 2011. "“Fire Sales” in housing market: is the house-searching process similar to a theme park visit?," MPRA Paper 29127, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Genesove, David & Han, Lu, 2010.
"Search and Matching in the Housing Market,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7777, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Brian Petereson, 2009. "Fooled by Search: Housing Prices, Turnover and Bubbles," Caepr Working Papers 2009-004, Center for Applied Economics and Policy Research, Economics Department, Indiana University Bloomington.
- Christopher A. Pissarides, 2000. "Equilibrium Unemployment Theory, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262161877, June.
- Krainer, John, 2001. "A Theory of Liquidity in Residential Real Estate Markets," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 32-53, January.
- Robert Novy-Marx, 2009. "Hot and Cold Markets," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 37(1), pages 1-22.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:37065. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.