Home-seekers in the Housing Market
The housing market matching model in this paper considers two types of home-seekers: people who search for a house both in the rental and the homeownership markets, and people who only search in the homeownership market. The house-search process leads to several types of matching and in turn, this implies different prices of equilibrium. Also, the house-search process connects the rental market with the homeownership market. This model is thus able to explain both the relationship between the rental and the selling prices and the price dispersion which exists in the housing market. Furthermore, this theoretical model can be used to study the impact of taxation in the two markets. Precisely, it is straightforward for showing the effects of two different taxes: tax on property sales and tax on rental income.
Volume (Year): 17 (2014)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.asres.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Asian Real Estate Society, 51 Monroe Street, Plaza E-6, Rockville, MD 20850, USA|
Web: http://www.asres.org/ Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Charles Ka Yui Leung & Youngman Chun Fai Leong & Siu Kei Wong, 2005.
"Housing Price Dispersion: an empirical investigation,"
00012, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Department of Economics.
- Charles Leung & Youngman Leong & Siu Wong, 2006. "Housing Price Dispersion: An Empirical Investigation," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 32(3), pages 357-385, May.
- Charles Ka-Yui Leung & Youngman Chun Fai Leong & Siu Kei Wong, 2005. "Housing Price Dispersion: An Empirical Investigation," Departmental Working Papers _167, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Department of Economics.
- Susan Vroman & Pieter Gautier & James Albrecht, 2013.
"Directed Search in the Housing Market,"
2013 Meeting Papers
1370, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Albrecht, James & Gautier, Pieter A & Vroman, Susan, 2010. "Directed Search in the Housing Market," CEPR Discussion Papers 7639, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Albrecht, James & Gautier, Pieter A. & Vroman, Susan, 2009. "Directed Search in the Housing Market," IZA Discussion Papers 4671, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Susan Vroman & Pieter Gautier & James Albrecht, 2007. "Directed Search in the Housing Market," 2007 Meeting Papers 372, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Wheaton, William C, 1990. "Vacancy, Search, and Prices in a Housing Market Matching Model," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(6), pages 1270-92, December.
- Charles Ka Yui Leung & Jun Zhang, 2011. "¡§Fire Sales¡¨ in Housing Market: Is the House- Search Process Similar to a Theme Park Visit?," International Real Estate Review, Asian Real Estate Society, vol. 14(3), pages 311-329.
- Denise DiPasquale & William C. Wheaton, 1992. "The Markets for Real Estate Assets and Space: A Conceptual Framework," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 20(2), pages 181-198.
- Poterba, James M, 1984.
"Tax Subsidies to Owner-occupied Housing: An Asset-Market Approach,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 99(4), pages 729-52, November.
- James M. Poterba, 1983. "Tax Subsidies to Owner-occupied Housing: An Asset Market Approach," Working papers 339, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Antonia Díaz & Belén Jerez, 2013.
"House Prices, Sales, And Time On The Market: A Search‐Theoretic Framework,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 54, pages 837-872, 08.
- Antonia Díaz & Belén Jerez, 2010. "House prices, sales, and time on the market : a search-theoretic framework," Economics Working Papers we1033, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Belen Jerez & Antonia Diaz, 2009. "House Prices, Sales and Time on the Market: A Search-Theoretic Framework," 2009 Meeting Papers 1006, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Krainer, John, 2001. "A Theory of Liquidity in Residential Real Estate Markets," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 32-53, January.
- Genesove, David & Han, Lu, 2010.
"Search and Matching in the Housing Market,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7777, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Andrew Caplin & John Leahy, 2011.
"Trading Frictions and House Price Dynamics,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 43, pages 283-303, October.
- Leung, Charles Ka Yui & Zhang, Jun, 2011. "“Fire Sales” in housing market: is the house-searching process similar to a theme park visit?," MPRA Paper 29127, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Christopher A. Pissarides, 2000. "Equilibrium Unemployment Theory, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262161877, June.
- James Albrecht & Axel Anderson & Eric Smith & Susan Vroman, 2007. "Opportunistic Matching In The Housing Market," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 48(2), pages 641-664, 05.
- Robert Novy-Marx, 2009. "Hot and Cold Markets," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 37(1), pages 1-22.
- Brian Petereson, 2009. "Fooled by Search: Housing Prices, Turnover and Bubbles," Caepr Working Papers 2009-004, Center for Applied Economics and Policy Research, Economics Department, Indiana University Bloomington.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ire:issued:v:17:n:01:2014:p:47-62. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (IRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.