Rendimento Acadêmico, o que prediz (e o que não prediz): o caso dos alunos de Ciências Econômicas da UnB
[Academic Outcome, what predicts(and what does not): the case of Economics alumni from University of Brasilia]
The analysis was based in 240 questionnaires answered by students of economics at University of Brasília. Using them, it was tried to make a whole description of the characteristics of these alumni and, in a second moment, to estimate econometric models to identify the causes of academic outcome, measured by the Grade Point Average (GPA) of UnB. The models showed that the amount of study and the frequency in classes are fundamental. Although, it did not find relationship between the participation in the campus social life and GPA. As in previous surveys, women presented better grades than men. Quota students, however, had lower GPAs than others. Finally, when a logistic regression was estimated to determine the probability of a fail, the time spent studying had little significance, as long as, the number of absences and subjects were the most important variables.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Todd R. Stinebrickner & Ralph Stinebrickner, 2007.
"The Causal Effect of Studying on Academic Performance,"
NBER Working Papers
13341, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stinebrickner Ralph & Stinebrickner Todd R., 2008. "The Causal Effect of Studying on Academic Performance," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 8(1), pages 1-55, June.
- Todd R. Stinebrickner & Ralph Stinebrickner, 2007. "The Causal Effect of Studying on Academic Performance," University of Western Ontario, CIBC Centre for Human Capital and Productivity Working Papers 20072, University of Western Ontario, CIBC Centre for Human Capital and Productivity.
- Stinebrickner, Ralph & Stinebrickner, T.R.Todd R., 2004.
"Time-use and college outcomes,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 121(1-2), pages 243-269.
- Todd Stinebrickner & Ralph Stinebrickner, 2001. "Time Use and College Outcomes," University of Western Ontario, CIBC Centre for Human Capital and Productivity Working Papers 20012, University of Western Ontario, CIBC Centre for Human Capital and Productivity.
- Bound, John & Brown, Charles & Mathiowetz, Nancy, 2001. "Measurement error in survey data," Handbook of Econometrics, in: J.J. Heckman & E.E. Leamer (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 5, chapter 59, pages 3705-3843 Elsevier.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:36131. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.