Immigration policy and its impact a comparative study with a focus on Spain
Immigration dynamics have varied across time and across countries and immigration flows can have a significant economic, social, political and cultural impact on host countries. The challenge for policy makers and academics is to better understand to what extent public policy decisions can influence migration flows and their impact. To address this research challenge, we need to advance a broader comparative research agenda that allows for a systematic comparison of immigration policy outputs (laws) and immigration policy outcomes (the impact of such laws). This report seeks to contribute to such a research agenda and the development of a corresponding methodological framework that would allow for such an empirical investigation. This report will first provide a historical overview of European migration trends that will set the Spanish experience in its broader context. The next part focuses on the evolution of Spanish immigration policy and its impact, and also provides an analytical summary of recent research identifies the limitations of existing research designs and proposes a broader comparative research agenda that would help the academic and policy- community deepen their understanding of the variation and differential immigration policies.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kangasniemi, M. & Mas, Matilde & Robinson, C. & Serrano, Lorenzo, 2008. "The Economic Impact of Migration – Productivity Analysis for Spain and the UK," MPRA Paper 15835, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2008.
- Carlos Gamero Burón, 2010. "Satisfacción Laboral De Los Asalariados Inmigrantes," Revista de Economia Aplicada, Universidad de Zaragoza, Departamento de Estructura Economica y Economia Publica, vol. 18(3), pages 33-56, Winter.
- Mario Izquierdo & Juan Jimeno & Juan Rojas, 2010. "On the aggregate effects of immigration in Spain," SERIEs: Journal of the Spanish Economic Association, Springer;Spanish Economic Association, vol. 1(4), pages 409-432, September.
- Mario Izquierdo & Juan F. Jimeno & Juan A. Rojas, 2007. "On the aggregate effects of immigration in Spain," Working Papers 0714, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- Kenneth F. Scheve & Matthew J. Slaughter, 2001. "Labor Market Competition And Individual Preferences Over Immigration Policy," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 83(1), pages 133-145, February.
- Timothy J. Hatton, 2004. "Seeking asylum in Europe," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 19(38), pages 5-62, 04.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:35742. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.