Impact sur la pauvreté et perceptions de la crise économique au Sénégal: Analyses quantitative et qualitative
[Impact on Poverty and Perceptions of the Economic Crisis in Senegal: Quantitative and Qualitative Analysis]
This article analyzes the impact of the economic crisis (rising food and oil prices and financial crisis) on the situation of households in Senegal using both a quantitative analysis of household survey data and a qualitative analysis from focus groups. Before the crisis, Senegal had experienced a dramatic reduction of poverty, and this is observed whether one relies on objective measures of poverty based on consumption or subjective assessments by households. Despite this progress, many household were however still not able to meet many of their basic needs. Simulations conducted for this study suggest that the recent rise in food and oil prices has had a negative impact on poverty. Qualitative data collected through focus groups and individual interviews confirm that the standards of living have deteriorated. Many households are talking about a lack of income generating activities and threats that the crisis represents for their traditional livelihoods. The rising cost of basic commodities, higher levels of debt, and limited access to credit also contributed to a deterioration in living standards. Households have limited means to cope with the crisis beyond increasing working hours, especially for women, and adjusting their food consumption patterns, for example by eating food of lower quality. The crisis has also increased tensions in some communities, and it seems to have weakened traditional mechanisms of solidarity between households. What emerges is a country that has made considerable progress over the last fifteen years towards poverty reduction, but that remains vulnerable to external and internal shocks.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maurizio Bussolo & Rafael E. De Hoyos, 2009. "Gender Aspects of the Trade and Poverty Nexus : A Macro-Micro Approach," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 13264, March.
- Dorothée Boccanfuso & Luc Savard, 2011.
"The Food Crisis and its Impacts on Poverty in Senegal and Mali: Crossed Destinies,"
Development Policy Review,
Overseas Development Institute, vol. 29(2), pages 211-247, 03.
- Dorothée BOCCANFUSO & Luc SAVARD, . "The Food Crisis and its Impacts on Poverty in Senegal and Mali: Crossed Destinies," EcoMod2009 21500015, EcoMod.
- Dorothée Boccanfuso & Luc Savard, 2008. "The Food Crisis and its Impacts on Poverty in Senegal and Mali: Crossed Destinies," Cahiers de recherche 08-20, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke, revised 08 May 2009.
- Jeanne Koopman, 2009. "Globalization, Gender, and Poverty in the Senegal River Valley," Feminist Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(3), pages 253-285.
- Djibril Ndoye & Franck Adoho & Prospère Backiny-Yetna & Mariama Fall & Papa Thiecouta Ndiaye & Quentin Wodon, 2009.
"Tendance et profil de la pauvreté au Sénégal de 1994 à 2006,"
Association Africaine pour les Sciences sociales, vol. 4(1-3), pages 1-29.
- Ndoye, Djibril & Adoho, Franck & Backiny-Yetna, Prospere & Fall, Mariama & Ndaye, Papa Thiecouta & Wodon, Quentin, 2009.
"Tendance et profil de la pauvreté au Sénégal de 1994 à 2006
[Poverty Trend and Profile for Senegal from 1994 to 2006]," MPRA Paper 27751, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ndoye, Djibril & Adoho, Franck & Backiny-Yetna, Prospere & Fall, Mariama & Ndaye, Papa Thiecouta & Wodon, Quentin, 2009. "Tendance et profil de la pauvreté au Sénégal de 1994 à 2006
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521117562 is not listed on IDEAS
- Azam, Jean-Paul & Dia, Magueye & Tsimpo, Clarence & Wodon, Quentin, 2007. "Has Growth in Senegal After the 1994 Devaluation Been Pro-Poor?," MPRA Paper 11110, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Wodon, Quentin & Tsimpo, Clarence & Backiny-Yetna, Prospere & Joseph, George & Adoho, Franck & Coulombe, Harold, 2008. "Potential impact of higher food prices on poverty : summary estimates for a dozen west and central African countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4745, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:34417. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.